Thursday, January 21, 2010

01/21/10

A rainy day so here is something else to brighten it. :)

Tonight you are going to get an excerpt from the book I have been reading, The Shack. This part is talking about how God's very essence is a "verb" instead of a "noun." It made the teacher in me think a lot about how I have viewed God. I really enjoyed that book and may even re-read it because it goes DEEP into Who God is. I realize this book isn't for everyone, but I do recommend it.

Everything in pink is from the book and not my own words. They belong to William P. Young author of The Shack.

This is the Holy Spirit talking to the character in the book to help you understand a bit of why it starts off like this:

I am a verb. I am that I am. I will be who I will be. I am a verb! I am alive, dynamic, ever active, and moving. I am a being verb.

And as my very essence is a verb, I am more attuned to verbs than nouns. Verbs such as confessing, repenting, living, loving, responding, growing, reaping, changing, sowing, running, dancing, singing, and on and on. Human, on the other hand, have a knack for taking a verb that is alive and full of grace and turning it into a dead noun or principle that reeks of rules: something growing and alive dies. Nouns exist because there is a created universe and physical reality, but if the universe is only a mass of nouns, it is dead. Unless 'I AM,' there are no verbs, and verbs are what makes the universe alive.

For something to move from death to life you must introduce something living and moving into the mix. To move from something that is only a noun to something dynamic and unpredictable, to something living and present tense, is to move from law to grace.

From law to grace.... we can't keep the law. No one is perfect enough to do so. We can try our best to abide by it, but we always fail in some point. (James 2:10) However, because of God's grace and mercy we are no longer under the law, but under the grace of the One Who died and shed His blood to cover those sins. I'll admit that even now sometimes that is hard for me to grasp!! (Psalm 32:1-6)

I am so thankful for our God Who IS a "verb"... He is active in all of our lives each day... each moment of every day! He is not dead, He is not made out of stone or wood. He is not electronically wired and possibly break down. NO, He is ever living and ever being....

I AM.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Kellie, here is a review I gave of The Shack on a website where I keep track of everything I've read, plan to read, etc.

"I just finished reading this book a little bit ago and am having trouble deciding what to write about it, my feelings are mixed. I did enjoy it, parts quite a lot, but I had a bit of trouble keeping into it during other parts. In saying that, I do think it was a good read and I do recommend it, especially as I mention below for those that need to forgive someone or get over a very difficult situation they've experienced."