Friday, January 15, 2010

01/15/10

Isn't it amazing how pretty an old doorknob can be sitting on some "fru-fru" bead "thingy?" (Yeah, I teach... couldn't you see that from that last sentence??)


Today I began teaching cross-stitch again to my students. I still enjoy the simple principle I try to weave in through teaching that craft. When we look at cross-stitch like our lives, we see on the back where there are messes and everything doesn't always work out right. We see "bumps" along the way and lots of mistakes. The whole time we see the back and how ugly it is, the front actually turns out quite nice.

That is how God moves in our lives. Our mistakes, our knots, our miscounted steps are all a part of the life God has given to us. While sometimes we concentrate on the mistakes, God is seeing the other side.... the side that is creating a beautiful picture. He takes those mistakes and we learn from them. Through it all, He has never left us and He helps us fix whatever is wrong. What a comfort that is to me!

My kids today made lots of mistakes. They will continue to make lots of mistakes in the weeks to come as they work on these projects. But, just like the Lord, I told them I would be there to help "fix" their mistakes just as God helps us. When it is over they will be able to look back and see just how much they learned and how far they came.

I can look back on my life and see the same thing that God has done for me.

Isn't our God amazing?

I want to publicly "shout out" to my "KT." She was so sweet in a comment she left for me yesterday saying that when she reads my blog she always "walks away" with something to think about differently. I really appreciate that because some days I know what the Lord has laid on my heart, but I am not sure if it has come across the way intended. Anyway, I just appreciated that word of encouragement. Visit her blog (Picture My Life) to see her own photography. She says I am her "mentor", but I feel like I still have so much to learn myself. She's going to teach me, though, because she is now in school majoring in photography! :) Love you, KT!!!

Tonight will be a relaxing evening by the fire at the Fowler household. We cleaned yesterday and I am ready to curl up with my book. I am reading The Shack. Oh, goodness.... it's a really great book! It is very thought provoking. Anyone else read it?

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I completely agree with KT. You have a great gift for weaving God's mercies into everyday life.

I read the Shack exactly one year ago on my trip to Italy. Couldn't put it down. It's not for everyone, but it sure opened my eyes to the Lord's character.

Kelly said...

I'll give a hearty AMEN to the crossstitch principles. Wow! What a great lesson to teach your students (and us). I'm amazed at how God can use a sinner like me to work out His plan, but He does. Thanks for the reminder! Oh, and I love your new blog banner! ;0)