Sunday, August 23, 2009

08/24/09

I'm not sure what this plant is called but it surely looks interesting... Anyone know?


I read this in my devotions last night and it was a balm for me. I wanted to share:

Psalm 61:1-3
Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

Many days of our lives will be lived in the land of the overwhelmed. There will be times when we are engulfed with heartache, overcome with fear, and devastated by the happenings around us. When depression hits us full force, the only One we can cling to is God. David was at such a point in his life when he penned the words in verse 2.

David was no doubt driven from his home by Saul or Absalom when this verse was written. His tender heart was troubled. The word overwhelmed here tells us that grief had wrapped his soul like a garment. His hope and courage were failing, but still, he had a godly response to the dismal developments in his life.

Being human brings days of trouble, anxiety, and grief. Even our Lord was "a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isaiah 53:3). The disappointments of life were not meant for our ruin but for our strength. David was made strong by his heartache. His wrestling with pain fitted him for the throne. And so our battles in life fit us into the image of Christ. (Romans 8:29).

David knew the secret of overcoming soul distress. He said, "lead me to the rock that is higher than I." This is an admission of his human frailty. He is too weak in himself to climb out of this pit. But than God there is One higher than David, One more powerful, One who is the answer. When we are hurt, what we need to do is follow the gentle leading of the Holy Spirit to the Rock. God is not overwhelmed with trouble. He once walked this earth as the Son of God and was tested like us, but never failed.

God is that "rock" that is higher than the floods of life and unharmed by its flames (Isaiah 43:2). We must learn to flee tot he shelter of the Rock and protection of His wings.

The answer for heartache is to cling to the Rock. Our God understands what we are going through and knows how devastated we are. He will help us.

Our mighty God gives us eternal protection.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That plant is called a pineapple lily. I posted some pictures of one on my blog a while back. I think they are so neat looking!!!

Dream Big said...

So true I love how you write touches my heart.