Saturday, August 15, 2009

08/15/09

Here fishy, fishy.... NC Aquarium.


Have you ever noticed that when something hard comes along in life how quickly it is to take our focus off the Lord and put them instead on our circumstances? I am talking to myself about this more than anyone!

Some days I feel like Peter when he and the other disciples were on the boat on the Sea of Galilee. Jesus had been up in the mountain praying until the wee hours of the morning and he saw that a storm had come up on the sea. He already knew the reactions of his disciples before it even began, but he stopped what He was doing and walked to them.

He walked on the water to get to them. He loved them that much that nothing was going to stop Him from being near them.

I have always taken for granted that Jesus walked on the water. I know it is a part of the childlike faith I had as a child when I first learned that from the Bible. Now as an adult I begin to view that through different eyes.

The disciples immediately think it is a ghost when they see Jesus. They begin to panic and then Jesus tells them to "Be of good cheer; it is I, be not afraid."

Peter, doubting a bit still, asks if he could come out on to the water and Jesus bids him to come. Peter was fine as long as his eyes were focused on Christ.... he, too, walked on water!! Once he took his eyes off of Christ and began to look at the tumult all around him is when he began to sink. When he cried out as he was sinking, again, Jesus was there. The Bible says He was there immediately.... stretching forth His hand to catch Peter. He then asks Peter why he had so little faith that he doubted.

Aren't we just like that? I know I am. I immediately think the worst when "storms" blow through my life. I take my eyes off of Jesus... I stop praying, I stop reading His Word because I become consumed with the "storm" that is around me. That is the exact opposite of what the Lord wants... the exact opposite of what we should do!

Oh, Lord... help me in my unbelief. Help me to cling to you... hold to your outstretched hand.

Here are words to a song I listened to today. It was something I needed and somebody out there may need them, too.

Hold On
Jesse Dixon

If you feel today that you can't make it
Keep holdin' on, cause you can take it
If you hold on a little while longer
Hold on a little while longer....

If you feel its raining all in your life
And day by day, there's nothin'
Nothin' going right
Just hold on a little while longer
Hold on a little while longer...

You gotta hold to His hand
God's unchanging hand
You gotta hold to His hand
God's unchanging hand
You gotta build your hopes on things eternal
My God will never let you down.

Weeping may endure for the night
But if you trust in Jesus
Everything's gonna be all right
Just hold on a little while longer
Hold on a little while longer....
Hold on
HOLD ON


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN --AMEN !!
How true, and We are
all guilty.

Dream Big said...

I loved the poem you are amazing.Thank you.