Monday, December 26, 2005

Another Christmas

It is sad to see that another Christmas has come and gone. We had such a good one. The picture for today is of what is on top of my mantle. Mary is holding baby Jesus. I always want that in the center of my mantle because I want Jesus to be the center of our celebrations. That figurine was my grandmother's. I have another set of hers, too. I cherish those as I never got to know her. She died before I was born. I am at least reminded of her each time I look at them.

We have had a fun couple of days. Wesley and Mikayla were actually hard to get up on Christmas Day! They were so tired but we knew we had to get them going so they could open their presents before we went to church. Steve stood in the hallway between their rooms and called out "HO, HO, HO! Merry Christmas!" to get them rolling out of their beds. It didn't work, exactly. :o) Wesley was still "gone" and we had to just wake him up! When Steve opened up Mikayla's door, she sat up in her bed and said she heard Santa! She said she was sleeping but her ears were awake! That got us tickled. I'll have to remember that for the scrapbook!! They both were half asleep as they opened their presents. Santa had written them a note letting them know that most of their presents had been dropped off at our house this year, but there were also some at Mimi and Pappa's. After opening presents we got ready and went to church. I was glad we went. It made our normal Christmas routine different, but it was good to be worshiping on Christmas Day.

After church, we went to Mom and Dad's and had a great lunch and then opened our presents. Wesley got the John Deere Combine he had been wanting and Mikayla got her "Merican Girl doll. We decided to name her "Arabia"....that is after my grandmother. (the one whose figurine is above) I had wanted to name Mikayla that name but Steve vetoed me. At least SOMETHING is named after her even if it is a doll. :o) I got my digital camera...but I have had it for over a month now. I enjoyed taking pictures with it, though!!! I also got some clothes, jewelry and a purse. Steve got clothes and things to grill with while we both got a food processor from my brother. He always has ulterior motives in his gifts. :o) Now when we bake I don't have to use his!! HA!!! It was a good Christmas and the best part continued to be that Mom was here to celebrate with us. That was an awesome gift we received back in the summer. :o)

We had Christmas with Steve's Dad and step-Mom today. We went out to eat breakfast and then came back to our house. We were all so tired and I had soft music playing that many of us almost went to sleep! We had a good time together. When they left the whole family crawled in bed and took a nap!!! Steve and I slept for a couple of hours and Wesley slept over 3 and at this point, Mikayla STILL isn't up. They were exhausted so I am not surprised. It was the best thing for everyone this afternoon. I wish I had slept a little longer, but I knew there were things that needed to get done.

Now, it seems, it is time to take all of the wonderful Christmas things down and get back to normal life. I am usually chomping at the bit to get everything down by today but this year I am wanting to soak it all in a little longer. I think since 2005 was so topsy turvy with Mom and then the kids beginning school this year that I just want SOMETHING to stay the same for a bit of time. The older I get the less I like to rush around. We're still planning on taking down our things tonight because the tree is so dry, but I will miss it. I think I will keep up our outside lights and lights in the window for a few more nights. I love the warm glow that the house has when the lights are on.

I guess I'll have to figure out other things to take pictures of now. :o) I will miss my Christmas pictures. It just needs to snow around here so I can get some good winter pics!!!

The Christmas tree is not coming down with me sitting here typing. I hope you all are having a restful and wonderful day!

No comments: