Thursday, February 09, 2012

02/09/12

 

I have permission from Steve to share this story.  I do not want you to read this as I am making fun of him.  I just saw a lot of spiritual applications in what happened to Wesley and him this past weekend.

On Saturday, Steve and Wesley went hunting for squirrels just as they have done every weekend this year.  Steve told me that he had told Wesley earlier that day that "he never gets lost in the woods."  Oh, how he wished he had not said that!

If you remember from my post on Monday, I was not feeling the best this past Saturday so I was home sleeping.  Mikayla had decided to go up to my Mom's to give me some rest time.  I was home alone.  I got a call around 6:15 and I was still a bit "out of it."  It was Steve.  He told me something I had never thought I would hear:  "I need you to come get us, we got lost."  I wanted to chuckle, but didn't want to hurt his feelings.  I wanted to be concerned, but I knew God was with them and he was calling me so they were OK.  He told me where to come and get them so I got in the van and left.

It was so dark that he was concerned I would not see them so he called me shortly after I left home to make sure I found them.  Thankfully, I found them with no problem and was able to take them back to their original starting point to get the truck.  

While Steve was getting his coat out of the woods, Wesley shared with me that he was pretty scared.  It had been cloudy around here on Saturday and he said the woods seemed to get dark FAST.  As they were wandering around they had to walk through a creek.  Wesley told me that as he was walking in the middle he got scared because he could feel the force of the water against him.  He said he kept saying a verse over and over... 

Proverbs 3:5,6 - Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him and he will direct they paths.  

He said he knew that the Holy Spirit gave him that verse to help him.  I told him I was also reminded of Isaiah 43 where it talks about how God is with you when you pass through the waters, they will not overflow you.

Steve got home and looked on the map of the area where they were hunting and said the tree he uses to get him back on the main trail was probably just within reach but because it was so dark, he and Wes seemed to keep moving to the right.  They circled around an area and didn't get to the tree to the path.  He said as they were walking around and realized they were lost,they stopped and prayed.  I was so thankful for this moment where Steve showed Wesley he didn't know the way but He knew the One Who would lead them.

Soon after their prayer is when they saw the road but had to cross the creek to get to it.  Soon they were calling me and soon I was able to come to get them.

This whole story reminded me of how the Lord wants to direct our paths.  Sometimes we get lost in the darkness of this world.  We are trying to follow Him, but we can't find the "tree" that will lead us back.  We circle around trying to make our own paths in life but soon realize we are getting nowhere.  Once we finally surrender that to the Lord He is able to show us how to get back on the right path.  We may have to cross a few "creeks of trials" to get back there, but He is there.  We also may have to call on others to help, but that is why the Lord gives us other people in our lives.

The Lord is always leading.

I am blessed by the fact that Steve used this as a teaching moment with Wesley.  I am thankful that my Mother's Heart did not get overwhelmed by all of the "What ifs" but trusted that the Lord had them in the palm of His hand the entire time.

I know it is something that Steve and Wesley will always remember.  I know it will be something I will remember, too.  I love how the Lord can bring good out of any situation to help us learn more about Him and His loving character.

No comments: