Tuesday, February 07, 2012

02/07/12

 

Last week in chapel our speaker was sharing about how we need to wait on the Lord.  He gave this illustration and I thought it was great so I wanted to share.

He said there were 100 kids in a "testing" situation.  These kids were given instructions that if they could wait until the people giving the "test" would come back in the room then they could have two jellybeans.  If they could not wait, there was a button for them to press and the people would come back in and they could get one jellybean.  He said that 78% of the children could not wait.  They pressed the button pretty quickly just to get one jellybean, when they could have waited and gotten double the amount.

Today we are an "instant" society.  We don't know how to wait anymore.  It is now being passed down to our children.  We can get information right at our fingertips and do not like it when we have to wait for something to upload/download/appear, etc.  

I am talking to myself here, too.  I have been having to learn that sometimes I really do need to wait for what I want instead of going out and getting it immediately.  I am learning that it is important to be careful and show more patience when I am around Wesley and Mikayla so they will know how to wait.  

I could tell that Wesley was listening at chapel because last Thursday he said he was really wanting to know how he had done on some tests.  He said he had been praying about them and hadn't gotten an answer yet.  Then he said, "OH, the Lord must be telling me to wait, then!"

When we wait on the Lord we are able to wait for the blessings He wants to give us instead of what we think we want.  Two jellybeans are more flavorful than one.  God's blessings are much better than anything we can imagine.

Find ways this week that you can learn to wait.  We really do need to show patience to our kids or they will never learn to wait on the Lord.

2 comments:

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

I needed this! Patience is not one of my finest virtues, although I am getting better at waiting with age! Thanks for sharing this! :)

Mich said...

Learning to wait on the Lord is a daily lesson for me.