Saturday, July 23, 2011

07/23/11

Today has been a day of journeys.

The first journey was to watch one of my former students, Katie, graduate from Photography school.  It isn't every day that a second grade teacher is invited to watch someone graduate from college.  It was a great day and I was so thankful I went.  Katie has been on a journey herself for the past two years as she has learned to allow the Lord to guide her steps.  I know He will continue to guide her as she begins a career in photography.  It felt very special to be a part of her day!!

My day went from joy over a life journey just beginning....

.... to the news that two life journeys had ended.  These pictures are the graves from Old Salem.  They are fitting for today as two precious people went home to be with the Lord this morning.

One is the father of a distant cousin by marriage.  He had cared for his Daddy for the last few weeks knowing what the end would be.  What precious memories he and his family will have knowing they were there for him in his final days of journey on this earth.

The other is a precious lady who used to teach at my school that passed away from a long battle with ovarian cancer. I just saw her a month ago at the wedding I photographed.  I am so thankful for that photograph I took of her that day!  Her journey was hard and long.  She always had a smile on her face when I saw her.  She was an example of gracefully and godly handling something very difficult.



It was interesting that I found all of this out on the way home from Katie's special day and how my happiness turned into a sadness.  Tears wanted to flow freely, but I couldn't let them at the time since I was driving.


 Then the Lord quickly reminded me that, while I may be sad at the loss of these two precious individuals, they are now with Him and they are no longer in pain.  There are no more tears.  They are healthy again.  Their journey is done.

But, isn't that just what life is? 

One journey begins and another one ends. 

Through every part of the journey in life God is there.

He is holding our hands.

He is underneath with His everlasting arms.


HE IS.
I praise Him for being the Wonderful and the Comforter in the same moment of time.

4 comments:

Erica Underwood said...

Mrs. Layton was such a sweet lady, and she will be greatly missed. I am glad she is in a place where there is no more pain!

Sandy said...

Isn't it amazing when you have tears of joy mixing w/tears of sorrow? Knowing that those two have eternal life w/the Savior is reason for more joy, too.

Beth Rucci said...

Thanks for the reminder. Chuck said the same thing when Mike McCaskill died. I did not know Pam but did pray for her. I did not know that she once taught at Wake Christian. Will pray for your Steve's family and Pam Layton's as well.

Mich said...

Life is so full of ups and downs. prayers for your family and friends as they deal with the loss of loved ones.