Friday, June 10, 2011

06/10/11

I am going to talk some politics today.

I normally do not do that on here... simply because I am not very "into" politics. I also don't want this blog to become that kind of place.

For today, though, I want to "talk."

What are your views on Representative Anthony Weiner... the one who sent pictures of himself to other women?

Here are some thoughts I have had:

Those photos were beyond inappropriate. You would expect a Congressman to show a little more class. However, he is a human just like any and we are all sinners.

Do I agree with what he did? NO.

My first response was that he is a jerk and needs to resign.

I still think he is a jerk.

I still think he should resign.

I am wondering is he REALLY sorry... or just sorry he got caught?

He will have consequences because of his actions, but I honestly wonder if there is a humbleness about him now. If so, I haven't seen or heard it in what I have read. He refuses to step down.

I saw on one article I read today where 56% of the people in his district polled think he should just stay in office. Is this because he does such a super job? Is this because the world's population as a whole really doesn't get offended by trash like this any longer?

I honestly think it is because the world's population as a whole really doesn't get offended by this trash any longer.

I read where there was going to be an investigation as to whether this violated any House rules or not. How about violating plain old decency? How a person lives in their personal life DOES make a difference in the professional life whether we like it or not. Every time he goes before his fellow representatives now that is going to be the first thing they are going to think of... not what he is discussing.

What I began to do today after reading a bit more about him, though, was remember that Jesus loves Him, too. He needs a change in his life..... a REAL change of Jesus Christ.... not some "Hope and Change" the world likes to show us these days. He needs to the Lord... plain and simple. We all have sinned and our sin is no different than his sin. I am no better than this man.

Do I really know what is the best course of action for this man? Not at all. God put him in office for a reason and God will do as he pleases with this situation whether Anthony Weiner recognizes Him as Lord or not.

I just pray the man is truly sorry, stops what he is doing, and finds the Lord. As I was reminded of today:

Proverbs 16:18, 20
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'm thinking he got teased a lot as a kid with a name like that, don't you? :)

It is embarrassing that we have officials in office that can't display self control (the list is never ending, esp in NC it seems).

I often tell my kids:
Character is how you behave even when no one is watching.

A politician should know that someone is ALWAYS watching. Sigh.

Becki Buffaloe said...

When I teach about Bill Clinton and discuss his affairs, I tell the students that the part that bothers me the most is exactly what you are saying-the American public had no problem with what he did on his OWN time-even if it happened in the Oval Office. I have no respect for him although I know the Bible instructs me to pray for those in authority over me. I have to be aware of politics-here and world wide-as I teach Current Events and I truly have to cling to II Corinthians 4:8 or I would go crazy. I always wonder with the liberal media who they are polling-sad that the public thinks what Weiner did was OK. Brett Favre did the same thing and I loved him as a quarterback. He was one of my favorites, but that was not acceptable and no excuse can justify it.
Becki

Sandy said...

Two things bother me: 1) The "polls" that say it doesn't matter to most people (the people on Fox News are plenty upset about it!)
2) That he doesn't have the "finesse/guts/dignity/whatever" to just resign & admit what a stupid thing it was to do!
The media is a whole different story, because if it had been a Republican caught doing this, they would have been outraged. I also can't believe that the "Women's Groups" aren't speaking up about it! (Nancy Pelosi would have been all over it if he wasn't a Democrat.) It really is disgusting to have someone who ought to be highly respected show no remorse over something so disgusting. Definitely is the opposite of what we want our children to see as "role models"!