Monday, May 09, 2011

05/09/11

This past weekend I had *too quickly* put a status update on Facebook that I was thankful for how God had answered a prayer just then.

Little did I realize at that moment that He had not, in fact, answered that prayer as I had thought.

I pulled a Simon Peter and rushed it a bit.

After making that "hasty" statement, I received the news that our lawnmower was not quickly fixed by just charging the battery as I originally thought, but indeed in need of a large part that cost a lot of money. I was standing at the sink washing dishes when I received this news. I wanted so badly to say "WHY?" We have been dealing with a lot of things around the house needing repairs as well as other things that keep popping up that require more and more funds.

We were not ready for this.

I thought He had answered my prayer so quickly.

But didn't He?

I had to step back a minute while I was washing those dishes and realize He HAD answered my prayer. It just wasn't in the way I had wanted.

He reminded me "Give thanks in ALL things."

The Lord got me thinking. He told me right there that I was to thank Him for this hardship and give it to Him. Me worrying about it wasn't going to do anything but give me a stomachache.

So....

I prayed.

I trusted.

I still do not know how all of this is going to work out, but He has reminded me time and again this weekend that HE is there with me and He will never leave me (or us!).

I was reminded of these verses last night while reading:
Isaiah 43:1c-3a
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you.
For I am the Lord your God,

This was what I read in one of my devotionals last night - Jesus Calling:

Do not long for the absence of problems in your life. That is an unrealistic goal, since in this world you will have trouble. You have an eternity of problem-free living reserved for you in heaven. Rejoice in that inheritance, which no one can take away from you, but do not seek your heaven on earth.

Begin each day anticipating problems, asking Me to equip you for whatever difficulties you will encounter. The best equipping is My living Presence, My hand that never lets go of yours. Discuss everything with Me. Take a lighthearted view of trouble, seeing it as a challenge that you and I together can handle. Remember that I am on your side, and I have overcome the world.

SO.

I AM thankful for the opportunity to depend more on my Savior and less on myself. I am so thankful for His promises.

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, Do not fear, I will help you.

No comments: