Thursday, March 24, 2011

03/24/11

There is nothing like watching the leaves sprouting out of a bush or tree in spring. I love the light colored green as it bursts forth to add color and spice to a dull winter-laden world.

Forgive me... today may be a bit wordy. I have had this on my heart for a couple of weeks and it has to be written. I never know if what the Lord is working on with me can help someone else, too.

Have you ever had anything that held you captive?

Webster's defines "captive" as:
taken and held prisoner especially in war;
held or confined as to prevent escape;
in a situation that makes free choice or leaving difficult;
one that is captive;
PRISONER

Satan likes to use things in our lives to hold us captive.

I am speaking from experience.... I have been held captive in my life by fear, anxiety, and some depression.

What may cause captivity for me may not be the same for you. Satan only needs a pin hole into our lives and he can use that to bring us into captivity in our spiritual lives.

Whatever you focus on, whatever your mind goes to, is by what you are held captive.

Most captivating thoughts were once casual thoughts not surrendered to the knowledge of Christ. ..... Whether the captor began as a seed or a tree, its destructive force assumes the size it occupies in your mind.

- Beth Moore

Have you ever noticed that at the end of the day, when all is quiet and you are trying to get to sleep, Satan will attack the most?

How can we be released from this captivity?

Isaiah 26:3 has been brought before me more times than I can count! I know the Lord is continuing to teach me about this:

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee.


I used to be so filled with fear over who knows what.

I used to be filled with an anxiety level that didn't allow any peace of mind.

I used to be filled with a depressed state.

I still battle it today.

HOWEVER.

I have learned to search the Scriptures and give my fears to the Lord.

I am still learning to read His Word to help me with that anxiety.

I will continue to trust in His Word to keep my mind on Him so that depression will not linger.

I still have lots to learn in this area!!!


God is our watchman and watches over us. He knows how easily Satan can come into our thoughts if we are not constantly captivated by HIM.

I like how Beth Moore says this:
When temptations and troubling thoughts come, the steadfast believer chooses to lay her hand on God's Word and know that it's the truth.

We become victors through surrender to Christ.
We become victors by our dependence on God.
Victorious lives flow from victorious thoughts.
Thinking victorious thoughts comes from setting our focus on a victorious God.

Search the Scriptures.

Stay in the Scriptures.

Stay close to God.

He alone will set the captive free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful and so timely for me today. God knew I needed that. It's probably for someone else too...but I'm gonna receive it as a special nugget for his daugher, me.

Mich said...

Great words.
I needed to read this.
THANKS!