Wednesday, March 02, 2011

03/02/11

It has been so nice the last few days to have the opportunity to open the windows and let in those wonderful breezes before pollen hits. The cats LOVE any time that we have the windows opened. Isabelle was enjoying the view from Mikayla's window the other day.

Have you ever thought of your non-verbal communication?

I have had this topic of conversation with my best friend a lot because we are VERY non-verbal communicators. It has gotten us into "trouble" at times.

I was thinking on it today because in class I was dealing with a student over an issue. As I was talking, I began to reflect on my non-verbal cues I was giving this student.

I was not happy over a comment this student had made to another student, but I also knew that if my non-verbal was anything like I thought it may be, that student was probably scared to death to even verbalize what was said.

I had to stop and think.... "What if God looked at me like that when I did something wrong?"

It caused me to have a moment where I purposely softened my non-verbal actions. The situation was still something serious, but if I walked around looking as if I was ready to "blow" when I just wanted the truth, how would that appear to a child of eight years old? I want my point to get across, but in a loving and firm way as the Lord would approach me.

I am always amazed when the Lord speaks to me in His still small voice about something I may be doing or something I need to change.

Those kids think that I just teach them... but they don't realize how many times the Lord teaches me as I am teaching them.

That is humbling and for that I am ever so thankful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And when is your first formal lesson 'non-verbal ques' as I think I might just need to attend a crash course. I could use a little (well, a lot) of work in that little ay-ree-u.

K.

Katrina said...

God sure has been dealing with me with Grace lately. Thanks for another reminder. Cute picture.

Sandy said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

LOL - I am such a verbal communicator! One of the assignments I did with my college comp class was to teach about character traits and they had to write essays about those traits, how they view one trait, how a parent views that same trait in them and how a peer views that trait. I would incorporate the Spiritual Gifts from Don and Katie Fortune (though not mention this God-based book) and talk about how they work together and how they talk to each other (couples book is awesome with that). That has so helped me better interpret how people communicate, how my student's communicated. When people understand the different ways people are gifted and through that gifting communicate, they need to be less defensive with each other.

Best of luck:)