Monday, March 07, 2011

03/07/11

We went to Old Salem, NC for our NC Project Site Visit this past Saturday.

It was a wonderful day! We learned much and just had a great time being together as a family. It was also nice that there were not a lot of people there so we could soak in all the history that we wanted!

Wesley and Mikayla by the gunsmith shop


By the tavern... George Washington stayed here in 1791 for a couple of nights.

In the back of the tavern where horses would have been kept long ago.

One of the beds in the tavern.... the bottom mattress was stuffed with straw and the top mattress would have been with feathers or something like that. Not like my Sleep Number bed set at 30, but if I had been riding a horse all day and was cold and wet, I am thinking I could fall asleep just fine there.

Listening to the man tell about the Single Brothers Home.

We enjoyed him playing the pipe organ and learning about the "Choirs" of the Moravians.... not like singing choirs but how they were grouped together. Example: Single girls, single women, married women, widow women, etc... They also did it for the boys/men, too, hence the Single Brothers Home. (They called each other Brothers and Sisters.) The only place the choir system is still in use is in burial. We didn't get to the burial ground... that will have to come another visit. We bought a year membership so we are definitely going back. lol

Wesley was bending the pewter spoon in the Tinsmith shop. He could hear the parts of the metal "breaking" as he bent it.


The bakery was the highlight of the day since we didn't have lunch.... and, OH. MY. GOODNESS. Those treats were yummy!

My piece of pound cake... pound of butter, pound of sugar, pound of flour, etc...

This was the cherry strudel.... OH. MY. WORD. My best friend told us to get one of these and we are so glad. I thought of my friend Sandy when I ate it! She loves cherries.

We loved it, too!

Good to the last bite... evidenced on Mikayla's face. :)

Pumping station that still worked.

I am actually there.... really, I am. This was taken to prove it.

Supper at the Old Salem Tavern Restaurant. It was our splurge for the day. It was SO good!

There I am again!

I had the Cod for supper.... it was a scrumptious way to end our fun day!
More pictures to come! You didn't think this was all I would show you did you? :)

4 comments:

Lori H. said...

Nice to see you in some of the pictures!! :-D

Geoff said...

Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! Great pictures, Kellie!

Anonymous said...

Not for one moment did I think that was all the pictures. Are you kidding us ? I love them all ,You all looked like you were having a good time. Love - Love!!sn

Mich said...

Great pictures! Looks like a fun day.