Thursday, December 16, 2010

12/16/10

How appropriate to have this little guy on here today. It snowed a bit around here and made the roads hard to travel first thing in the morning. Since we only had a half day of school today they chose to close the school. We didn't see a lot of snow, but I will admit it was nice to have a day to rest. I did not get up until 9:30. I usually do not like to sleep late but my body has been screaming for some extra rest as of late.

Not only was the play on the forefront of my energy in the last couple of months, but we had our annual Christmas baking this past weekend that was quite tiring... (19 hours of baking WITH help from everyone) but fun. Kevin posted about it and his recount of this past weekend was too funny not to share. I copied and pasted from his blog.

Baking Weekend

May I please have a moment?

[pause]

[pause]

WHEW!!!!!!!

[pause]

[pause]

Thanks for allowing me a moment to collect my sanity.

This past weekend was busy!! It was the annual Fowler Christmas Bake-off where I don my chef's hat, cheerleader skirt and pom poms, and coach's whistle while arming myself with the tools of the trade and make my way down to the Fowler's chalet to begin the processes of measuring, chopping, beating, whirring, and baking individual ingredients into something that will be absolutely scrumptious.

This year was more of a challenge because a nameless someone wasn't very motivated (by her own admission!). After a few false starts and a few surprise realizations of forgotten ingredients where mad dashes to the grocery store had to be made., the baking was off at a good pace. However, because of school projects that happened to be due around the same time, the activities slowed somewhat and the first day ended up rather late into the night. After Sunday dinner, the kitchen again saw multiple activities and finally all baking was done and gift bags assembled and in the van before 9 PM.

Because of the slight delays in the weekend, the personal baking I had planned had to be delayed a day. When I came home from work yesterday, I started up the kitchen here right after supper and made 2 batches of cookies and a batch of fudge in the span of 3 hours. To get that accomplished, I had to employ the help of two sous-chefs. With their help, I was able to finish my task in a lot shorter time than if I had done it all alone.

As always, I had fun. Little talks along the way make the time together more enjoyable. One little question, however, sticks out in my mind as absolutely hilarious. While enjoying a rousing rendition of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," the question was asked if hippos really are vegetarians.

My response, complete with the appropriate eye-rolling, was "When was the last time you saw a hippo stalking prey???

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Glad you got your much needed rest!
And Kevin's post was TOO funny!