Monday, September 14, 2009

09/14/09

Yesterday's post was all about Wesley... thanks for all of the comments, too, I appreciate them. :)

Today let's talk about Mikayla Girl. She loves to bake/cook as I have mentioned before. Well, last night we had to make some brownies for her to take to school tomorrow for her "talent." Their teacher is having each child bring in something they have done or can do as their talent from the Lord. Of course Mikayla chose her love of cooking/baking.

We decided to let her try out her brownies she is entering into the fair this year. I made her do everything except cut up the unsweetened bars of chocolate because I knew I would have issues with possibly cutting off a finger and didn't want her facing THAT. :)

She melted the chocolate, measured everything out and then mixed all of the ingredients together.

She told me she loved spending that time with me. It really was a fun memory to share. I should do more things like this with her... cooking/baking it just not my gift of excitement.

BUT....I need to do better with that simply because it is something SHE loves to do.

Here are a few pictures showing her in action!

Mikayla and I are not at the "best friends" stage of life yet. LOL She is so much like myself when I was her age that I know pretty much what she is thinking and she hates that. LOL! It is just an opportunity for me to help her to see how much she needs to begin relying on the Lord now to help her through moments where her personality wants to be stronger than it needs to be.

Isn't it amazing how much we see ourselves in our children? How humbling it is as well!

Some days I don't feel like I know enough myself to help her work through the lessons she needs to learn in life because the Lord is still having to help me through them!

I will say that the moments Mikayla and I share together that are "bonding" moments are precious to me. As I said yesterday it is different from what I share with Wesley but not anything more or less towards either of them.

Parenthood definitely brings its challenges but also the triumphs. I wonder if that is how God feels when we finally "get it" and have some bonding moments with Him? I am sure it is....

Moments we share together need to be like Mikayla and I had last night when we shared the beaters and put in our fingers to dip out what was left in the bowl.

Life should always be this good....

3 comments:

Morgan said...

I didn't realize how much I would treasure all these little memories I have collected with Cassie over the years so far. Beater-licking is the BEST, btw! I love this entry....

Kevin said...

You are definitely correct about spending more time in the kitchen with her. Her uncle can only do so much. It's exciting to me to watch her in the kitchen and I hope her love for cooking/baking continues to grow. I can't always be around with my pom poms cheering you on. Someone will need to take up the cloak of responsibility in my absence and gently "force" you to the stove/oven! hahahahaha. I am sure she will take the cloak with pride!

Amy said...

What great memories you two are making :-)