Friday, September 11, 2009

09/11/09


I still remember....

I can't believe it has been eight years since the ill-fated flights of those four planes.

I still remember where I was, what I was doing, how it affected me when I heard the news.

I had flashbacks of all of that today.

We had a time of prayer and silence at 9:00 at school today. It made me tear up thinking of that day eight years ago. If I had been by myself I probably would have had a good cry.

I look back on the last eight years and see how we have changed. I see how things are so different now that the kids I am teaching this year honestly don't know.

It is almost weird experiencing something so horrific and tragic and now "live to tell about it" to those I teach each year knowing they have no concept. They have no concept of the world we lived in before 9/11. I don't think any of the kids I am teaching this year were even born yet. It is the Pearl Harbor of our modern day.

We have gotten used to things again... as if they are normal.

We hear things about Iraq and Afghanistan on the news daily and it doesn't always cause us to shed a tear anymore.

I still think of that day in the back of my mind when I hear an airplane outside. I don't know if I'll ever get past that. The fear....

May we never forget those who died that day.

May we always remember the sacrifice that has been shown by so many SINCE that day.

These verses have been in my devotion all week. What a comfort to know that through tragedies such as one we remember today, our great God is still in control.


Psalm 46:1-3, 7-11
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore will not we fear though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

Though the waters therof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.

.....

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in fire.

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well written. Thank you, friend.