Tuesday, January 08, 2008

01/08/08

A lot of eights in that date... I just made a rhyme. lol

Busy day but not a bad one. I am about to go grade papers at this "early" hour so I won't have to do them after the kids go to bed. I would like to do some reading or journaling in my scrapbook pages tonight.

Steve got to go play golf with his boss this afternoon so we'll be meeting him, possibly, later on for supper. I truly have no idea at this point.

Thought I'd show a couple of my bird pictures today. This is a house finch on our feeder. I thought they turned out pretty nicely. Not bad for birds that fly away quickly. lol I like the second one, too, because I caught it with a seed in its mouth. I also love the way my telephoto lens blurs out the background completely. I don't get that as much with my wide angle lens, which is fine, but this allows the bird to really stand out in the photo. :)

Searched for a comforter set online last night. Either they are way expensive, look similar to what I have now, or just plain ugly. I'll keep what I have before I go "ugly." lol I don't make quick decisions when it comes to spending money so we'll see...

Yesterday I tried to find my cross-stitch needles I have kept at school for when I teach my students how to cross-stitch. (This goes along with my Colonial study.) Well, I couldn't find them at all yesterday, searched everywhere I knew they should be and even had my friend look for them, too, thinking a new set of eyes could see them. She didn't find them either. Well, I went yesterday and bought new needles and a new holder. I knew as soon as I bought them I would find the others... Today while I was getting the kids cross-stitch material started on their design they are making, with my NEW needles, and my friend looks up and finds my OLD needles in the area we both had looked yesterday!!! I KNEW that would happen. We laughed and I figure now that if I a child loses a needle, I'll have extra... lol

I also did a "quilt" with the kids at school where they took extra material from something we did last fall and glued the pieces onto cardboard. We then put all of those together on heavy paper to make a "quilt" to go outside of the classroom. Then, I took a small group of kids and began teaching them how to sew two pieces of material together so they could see how long it would have taken someone to actually make clothes or a quilt long ago. (even now!) I only got four children done, which I knew it would take a few days when you have 24 kids, but the ones that did it couldn't believe how long that took. lol It is a great hands on experience for them. I have never done this one before so it is new to me, too. Last year I began the cross-stitch and the kids making their own buttons out of clay and sewing them on to material. They'll work on that next week. I am so thankful the Lord gives me new ideas so I can be a better teacher to my students. It really was fun with the kids today. The other kids couldn't wait to start theirs.

Well, those papers aren't getting graded with me online. Have a great evening and I hope you are able to find something today you may have lost. lol

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Can't be paying for a couch, if he's out golfing. :-)
Hope he hit 'em straight.

Amy said...

Awesome shots of the birds! Did you take those through a window? Were you able to get the journaling done? I'm supposed to go to a scrapbook retreat this weekend, but with all the snow I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it.