Saturday, March 04, 2006

Olympics and cleaning

We had our AWANA Olympics today and Wesley and Mikayla were able to take part in it this year. They have been too young in previous years so this was a pretty neat thing for them. Overall the children did well. Wesley cracked us up a few times just hanging out and standing when he needed to be competing, but that is SO him. He is definitely not an aggressive sports person...which is OK by me. ha! Mikayla was a go-getter today. I was proud of both of them. Steve took them to McDonald's for a treat afterwards.

I didn't want to do too much this afternoon.....I'll be the first to admit that. I find on the weekends that I try to recover enough to start all over again on Monday. I almost dread Saturday nights now because I know the weekend is basically gone and Sundays go by so fast.

I did begin working on teaching the kids more ways of cleaning this afternoon. They have been vacuuming their rooms now for a month or so. It is their responsibility to clean their rooms and then vacuum them. Well, today I decided to go a step further and teach them how to clean their bathrooms. They do not do a very good job of keeping it clean during the week because they are getting ready for bed, acting silly, and getting soap and toothpaste all over the sink and faucet, which bugs me. I figured if they had to CLEAN it they would understand a little more the importance of keeping something clean for as long as they can. This will be their weekly job now. It will also help me. They did alright for their first time. I will still clean the mirror because they can't get to that, but they need to learn how to keep things neat and tidy. They are definitely old enough now to take on more responsibilities.
They both helped clean the bathrooms.... Wesley got the toilet this week and Mikayla got the sink and vanity area. Next week they'll switch. ha!! Both had to vacuum. I know one day they will LOVE looking at these pictures. hee hee :)

We had to run an errand this afternoon but before we did we stopped in the barnyard and I took a picture of the silos from a different view. I also took a picture of some of our old trees on the farm and I also found some daffodils. It was a beautiful clear day but it was a bit windy. I'll post those pictures in the next few days. Mikayla told Steve after I got out of the van "Mommy sure loves her camera, doesn't she??" Steve told her that yes, indeed, I did and that he loved me, too. I thought that was so sweet. They climbed the Magnolia tree that I used to climb as a child. They didn't go up too high but Steve tried to. That was quite humorous. :) He said he wants to climb all the way to the top. I used to do that...don't know if I have it in me to do that now. ha!!!

We went out to eat with Mom and Daddy tonight. We went to a local seafood restaurant. While the food was fine, it didn't match what we eat when we go see Steve's Dad and Step-Mom. (I know y'all are reading and will chuckle when you read that!!) It was nice being with Mom and Daddy, though.

Now that we are home it seems that Wesley is not well. He has complained of his throat hurting at night and we figured it was because of his snoring at night. (He has had a cold that won't go away and with his nose being stopped up he has trouble breathing...therefore, the snoring. It is quite cute to hear...) Anyway, Steve checked his temp tonight and it is a lowgrade fever. I think he probably has strep. We're going to see about getting him checked out tomorrow. My brother is coming back from Mexico so this will make our day even more interesting. We'll see how the night goes. I really hope he gets to feeling better....

I guess I had better get going for now. You never know what a night will hold.

No comments: