Thursday, April 30, 2009

04/30/09

Let me start off this post by saying I am a bit shocked. lol This afternoon we started cleaning the house since we are off to the Zoo tomorrow and I know we will be majorly tired when we get home. I had all intentions of getting in the house and "knocking out" my part of the cleaning but when I got home, my body hit the wall and I needed some "quiet" for a few moments. I told Mikayla to clean our bathroom and Wesley to clean theirs. They both started cleaning. After my moments of totally passing out on the couch, I was going to get up and start vacuuming and Mikayla comes in to tell me that she was going to do it, she WANTED TO DO IT and for me to just keep sitting.

Did I hear that right?

Yep... my girl vacuumed for me! Now, as I inspected later I saw that it wasn't vacuumed with the intensity that I usually vacuum, but I was not going to say that to her! Coming from Mikayla, my "not-so-happy-when-it-comes-to-cleaning" girl, I knew this was a big deal! She was also seeing something that needed to be done and choosing to help on her own! GROWTH! Thank you, Lord, for helping me see that the day in/day out consistent expectations Steve and I do with the kiddos is worth every moment! Her vacuuming enabled me to finally fold some clothes that had been in the laundry basket for a week. lol

As I said yesterday, I gave the devotions for the teachers in meeting this morning. Why is it I can stand in front of kids all day long and never get nervous, but you tell me I am going to give a devotion to my peers and I get all cotton-mouthed and shakin' in my boots!

I have put my thoughts about what my devotion was centered around on my blog before. I realize some of this may be a "repeat", but I know that it is always good to hear (or, in this case, read) things again to refresh our thoughts. I created this photo rememberance for the teachers and gave each of them one towards the end of my speaking. You can click on it to see it larger and read the verse better. :)


Psalm 46:10 was the verse on which I based my devotion. "Be still and know that I am God."

When I photographed the teapot/teacup pictures last fall they made me reflect on having a quiet moment by myself and even a quiet moment with a friend. With the words from that verse, I was thinking of how that relates to a quiet time with the Lord. Time to be still and really get to know the Lord! He is our FRIEND, after all!

At this time of year, life is so crazy for the teachers with the end of school. We are doing the Lord's work but so often we neglect that quiet time because our mind is racing or we are just so "busy" that once we have a quiet moment we can't hold our eyes open!

In the past year the Lord has brought this verse in front of me so many times that I knew I needed to listen! I have read it in devotions, heard songs about it, and heard sermons dealing with it. Throughout the year I have been reminded that the Lord is an ever-present friend but if I do not take the time to be still I will not really get to know Him!

This is a synopsis of what I wrote a couple of months ago:

I have a walk with the Lord... a journey of learning and discovering Who He is through reading His Word, listening to His "still small voice"... and growing in that. This is just like learning about a friend. If I am the same as I was a year ago... six months ago... a week ago... then I am not discovering God. Throughout this "journey" or "time to be still" I never have to fear that the Lord will leave me. He is there every step of the way.... even every "cup of tea I pour!"

Here are some verses that have spoken to me about the love of God and have become some favorites:

Deuteronomy 33:27a - The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms:

Psalms 32:7 - Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance.

I wanted to give the teachers a chance to be STILL and know God this morning. We all have had a rough week with the deaths we have experienced. I just didn't realize how God's timing with my devotion would be so needed. Again, He knew and that is all that mattered!

I created a Powerpoint (love doing these things!) that had my photographs on each slide and the words to "Be Still My Soul" throughout the presentation. I told the ladies to imagine they are sitting by a huge picture window, drinking their tea, being still and looking out on God's Creation. I cut off the lights and played the song while showing the PP. (I wish I could somehow post it on here but the music is not "attached" to the PP... haven't learned how to do that yet. If I ever figure that out I'll have to share!)

Here are the words to the song. I just really wish you all could listen to it. It is beautiful. As you read the words I hope you take the time to "be still... and know God."

Be still my soul
The Lord is on your side
Bear patiently
The cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God
To order and provide
In every change
He faithful will remain.

Be still my soul
Thy best, thy heavenly friend
Through stormy ways
Leads to a joyful end.

Be still my soul
The waves and winds still know
Still know
His voice who ruled them
While he dwelt below.

Medley part of "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"
Oh, what peace we often forfeit
Oh what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

Be still my soul....




2 comments:

Kim Wilson said...

Awesome! This was obviously straight from God's heart to yours. Thanks for sharing...it ministered to me!

wendy said...

I was up for devos this week too. I turned into a blabbering, bawling idiot. I used my "six words" blog and came up with some promises of God and other Scripture that I whittled down to six words. Then my challenge at the end was for the staff who wanted to to email around six words. I was surprised that quite a few of them actually did. And they all told me it was timely and that I wasn't a bawling idiot. I hate speaking to adults too.