Thursday, May 29, 2008

05/29/08


Fifteen years ago...
May 29, 1993
2:31 pm

That is when Steve and I were married....

It is hard to believe it has already been fifteen years. Time surely flies when you are having fun. My pictures of today are of our wedding bands we exchanged fifteen years ago. I now wear his old wedding band... long story now but he has a new one... and he added a ten year band to the collection five years ago. These rings are something I admire and love to look at every day of my life. He had the rope bands made just for me fifteen years ago. He had the ten year band made five years ago. Those rings mean so much to me and stand for what we committed to on this date. I can remember the rings feeling funny when we finished saying our vows because there were "so many" of them. Now, I feel lost without them on. Since I now wear his old wedding band, it is on my middle finger right beside my wedding bands he gave me. I wanted to always keep him close. He can't wear his wedding band to work every day because of his job, but every chance he wears it, there is nothing like seeing that band on his finger.

I am so blessed by the man to whom I am married. I never thought I could love someone more and more each day, but that statement is so true. It does not mean that every day is perfect... but it means that each day the commitment I made fifteen years ago to love and cherish him every day of my life is continuing to stay strong.

I look back on our fifteen years. To some, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the life they have shared with their spouse, to others it is a huge milestone because they haven't made it that "far." To me, these fifteen years have been about growing. Growing in each other, growing personally and learning how to live together. So many times people grow apart instead of closer. That has not been the case with Steve and myself. We've had our moments like any other couple, but we have always come back together.

I think of how far I have come as a spouse. I used to get angry over the silliest things. I used to "pout" when I didn't get my way. That isn't to say I still don't have moments like these but they are few and far between. I am continuing to learn that marriage isn't about ME, it is about US. I am so thankful my thoughts have changed and I am able to look past myself and see Steve's needs. That is a continual growing process that has not been mastered, but is stronger and better than fifteen years ago.

Many of you know Steve who read this. Some of you do not. This is what he is all about...

Steve is:

a godly man
a wonderful provider for our family
tenderhearted
strong
sweet
compassionate
helpful
willing
always there for me
patient with me
tough
a hard worker

...my best friend....


I cherish all of the times we have together. We are usually just a "boring" married couple because of day to day life but that is what LIVING is all about, is it not? Loving each other through the mundane tasks of day to day, the hurts or pains in life all the way to the special moments that are surprises. I couldn't imagine loving someone else who would love me the way Steve loves me. I am blessed.

He surprised me Sunday and had flowers put at the front of the church in honor of me for our anniversary. I'll post pictures of those later.

We're spending our anniversary with hundreds of other people at our school's graduation tonight. As I sit in the choir loft with the other teachers, I will be looking for the one in the crowd who made my heart go "pitter-patter" so many years ago now. I will search for him and wish I could be sitting with him, but my heart will be with his. Tomorrow night we'll go out to eat and celebrate. I can't wait. :)

This day is so special because it is the day I married my best friend. I pray your day is a great one as well.



4 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Just catching up...
Loved your zoo pictures the past few days.

Happy Anniversary to you and Steve. You two always seemed to "fit" together, and as we got to know you, I saw that as true. Say, "hello", to your other half for us.

Morgan said...

Kellie, that whole blog entry was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Amy said...

Kellie, I loved reading what you wrote, simply beautiful! He certainly sounds like a great guy!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your Anniversary!