Friday, May 23, 2008

05/23/08

Sorry for not posting much this week. It has been a bit stressful with trying to get all of the last minute things done for the end of school. I decided to do a couple of different pictures tonight. I took these pics of money right after I got my new lens. I was so amazed at how close it could get. They remind me of what I teach. lol I must say I like the new nickels with Thomas Jefferson's face like that. You can tell that this particular nickel has seen some scratches along the way. Our "new" quarters have been around for a bit, but they are still neat to observe. In the quarter I focused specifically on "In God We Trust." He is definitely Who I trust with everything I have!! You know, I am looking at these two coins side by side and seeing the "P" on each one. I seem to recall learning what that was but now am not remembering. I am sure my friend Amy will know. She is always finding out new and exciting facts. :)

I can't believe today was the last day for me to teach my kids for this year. We still have school next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but they are half days and we'll be doing picnics, Field Day and Awards Day..... so they don't really "count" for teaching. This afternoon one of my kids said "Today is our last Friday with Mrs. Fowler!" and they all seemed a bit sad about that. That kind of hit me like a brick. On one hand I am SO READY to get out for the summer. I am weary and in need of recharging, but on the other hand, I have come to love these kiddos. They were telling me they wanted me to move up to third grade. lol I think I'll stay in second.... I kind of know what to do for that grade. ha!

It is kind of the same every year. I work with the students all year long and pour my heart and soul into what I want them to learn and then they have to leave me! I was looking at them today and thinking about how they were when they first walked in my room. Some of them had "heard things" about Mrs. Fowler and were quite nervous. (LOL... I have a reputation for being tough and like "Atilla the Hun"; but they mistaken that for the fact that I expect obedience and that I challenge my students to reach higher and not settle for anything less than their best.) I had some kids who were excited but didn't know what to expect, and then I had those who I had taught siblings and they knew what was in store for them for the most part. All of those little heads were staring at me that first day not realizing what was ahead of them. I can honestly look back on this year and see so much growth in all of them. I've seen growth in myself as well! It is always sad to see a group go in a way because you finally have them knowing what you expect and how to do it all and it is time for them to move on to the next grade. I'll have to start over in the fall with a new "crop!!" lol

I am so ready for summer, but the last week of school is ALWAYS bittersweet for me. I just won't think about it much this weekend... I'll deal with it when I have to.

Speaking of bittersweet.... my best friend's daughter is graduating this year. We have her graduation party tomorrow night. I taught her and she is so special to me so this is a bit hard. I know I am going to cry... I have watched her grow up and turn into a fine young lady. I just can't believe how quickly ten years have passed since she was this shy little thing in my class who was scared of me the first week of school. ha!! My, how times have changed things....

The kids are having a sleepover in Wesley's room tonight. They love doing those types of things and I know they are making sweet memories.

I'm off to settle down on the couch and watch something.... I just am not sure what it will be. It is hard to find anything good on TV anymore it seems. Tomorrow is a Saturday that I don't have a lot planned and I will be in no rush to do anything. ha!! :)

Have a great evening....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that the "P" on the coins are the mint marks. So this tells us that the two coins came out of Philadelphia, PA. The other marks would be a "D" for Denver, CO or "S" for San Francisco, CA. Hope this helps....
Sherry