Sunday, May 18, 2008

05/18/08

I am back to showing some iris pictures. :) These were actually taken a few weeks back at the arboretum. The irises were in the Oriental Garden area and there was a trellis above them. That is why you see light and dark. I thought it gave the flowers a neat look. You may not agree. lol

This weekend has been nice because I didn't have a lot going on. I can't remember the last weekend that was like that. Of course, the next couple are going to be crazy again... and then June.. well, let's just say life is busy! lol

Yesterday the kids and I worked on cleaning this house. WHEW... that was something. I truly have not had a chance to do a full clean since their party. It has been hit and miss cleaning. I was quite glad to get it all clean and shiny again. It took us most of the day to get it all done on top of a zillion loads to wash but I was at a slower pace which suited me just fine.

Mikayla got me tickled and reminded me so much of myself as I was growing up. Her trashcan had "gunk" in it and needed serious cleaning. I told her to clean it out and put a trash bag in it. I observed that it had been done, but it had been done a bit too quickly so I felt it was important to "check." Let's just say that all of the loose stuff had been thrown out, but the "gunk" was still there. I informed her she would resume cleaning it until it was all clean. She didn't like that idea as much but I told her I would be inspecting it upon her completing the task so it had to be done well. lol She had to go back around 4 times because she halfway cleaned it. Now, I must admit I had flashbacks to my own childhood. I am continually amazed at how well my mother dealt with me and did not throw me out the window for such things as Mikayla was doing. LOL Mikayla was none too happy with me when I sent her back those times, but eventually we had a clean trashcan and she learned a good lesson. For now... I am sure the next time she will learn something again. I just remember having those same thoughts as a little girl towards my Mom, though. lol

I continue to be amazed at how much my children are like me. It is quite scary some days. I guess that is why I know what they are thinking when I just look at them. I have "been there, done that" and learned the hard way, too, that I didn't always get my way. lol I wonder if MY Mom was like that with her Mom???? lol

Speaking of knowing what they are thinking... that reminds me of what we talked about in Sunday School this morning. We were in Psalm 139 and were reading the whole chapter but the first few verses are what "got me" this morning. It talks about how God has searched us and known us and knows our thoughts afar off. Our teacher was talking about how we say "we know what you were about to say" to our children or spouse or someone close to us, but we don't really KNOW what they are about to say. God does. He knows what we were doing five years ago at 5:55 pm on May 18. Do I remember that? NO!! He also knows five years into the future. He knows all. Again, these are verses that I have read and understood my whole life, but I grasped in a different way today.

God knew me before I was born, knows me at this moment and knows all of what I will do and be in the future. It puts a new perspective on our thought life!! Since God knows us completely who are we to think we can hide anything from Him?? It has caused me to really think about what I think about! I am continually learning that I want to be pleasing to the Lord. I am not perfect and there are days I fail miserably, but I am thankful that God never gives up on me.

OH! I forgot to mention that I had a "photo shoot" yesterday afternoon. Mikayla joined me to help and Wesley and Steve had a golf outing. These two little girls were too cute. They are cousins just eight weeks apart (one is seven months and the other is nine months). Their mothers are twins! They were so good and did a wonderful job. Mikayla was all about these two babies. IfSteve and I hadn't had two at one time and been "done", Mikayla would have made a wonderful big sister. She does love little ones so much.

Well, I have a book calling me. Why is it when you actually get time to read while children are awake that you feel guilty that you aren't doing something else? I finally finished the book I have been working on for some time this afternoon while Steve was working on the kids thank you notes for their birthday party. (I must admit, that was a bit "cruel" to put all of that on him. lol I faced that last year with them and felt the need to let him share in the joy this year. He didn't fully agree. ha!!! I kept walking in and smiling and winking at him between working on stuff for church and grading some papers. He would "act mad" and start laughing knowing I was teasing. I just told him he was sharing in the joys of helping two out at the same time... something I do every day. hee hee) I am thankful Steve is a good natured kind of guy. :) They have now gone to Walmart to get a few things we needed for school this week that we forgot to get the other day. I am going to go read again. These times are few and far between when I can actually read a page without falling asleep halfway through!! ha!

Have a great evening. If it is a bit cool and rainy where you are like it is here, go have some coffee. :) Let's just say we have definitely had a spring in NC this year. Usually we go from winter/spring like to sweltering summer. It has been nice but has caught us off guard from what we have been used to having!

OK... really, I am leaving now. Have a great one!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What pretty flowers and the little girls are adorable! How fun that the sisters had their girls so close in age!