Friday, May 16, 2008

05/16/08

These pictures of roses are in honor of my parents.
Today is my Mom and Dad's 44th wedding anniversary. What a blessing it is to know my parents have loved each other through thick and thin and have stayed together all of these years. In a world surrounded by people who don't commit to anything, it is a wonderful thing to see them still together. They have had a lot of tough times in their marriage, which brought them closer together, but have had many great times as well. I always remember lots of laughter and I never heard them argue. That doesn't mean they didn't have their disagreements.... it just means they waited until we were gone to bed to discuss them. I don't think they have ever raised their voice at each other. At least, no times that I recall.

They have a marriage that mine has yet to attain, but as Steve and I grow older together I pray we will be where they are. I continue to observe how they are together and they still do the same things now that they did when I was growing up. Mom is always the first person Daddy sees when he comes home and he always kisses her. We were important to him, but not as important as Mom. They always talk about each other in such uplifting and praiseworthy ways when they talk about the other one when they are with other people.

It is so true when Mom and Dad say they are each other's Best Friend. They get into their "little world" when Daddy comes home at night and they share about their days. They depend on each other and support each other through all times of life. Theirs is a comittment that lasts the test of time.

It is my hearts desire to follow in my parent's footsteps. I want Wesley and Mikayla to see great love from Steve and I to each other and have as fond of memories as I do of my own growing up years. We didn't always have a lot, but I knew we were loved and I never once worried that my parents would break up. That was such a foreign concept to me. I saw others go through it, but it was still not something I thought about personally.

I called both of them this morning and sang "Happy Anniversary" to them. It was beyond words how beautiful it was. lol Kevin reminded me of something the other day that I had forgotten. He said the main reason I got married in May was because Mom and Daddy got married in May. That really was part of the reason... along with a couple of others. I wanted to follow in my parents footsteps from the start!! lol

It is with much love and gratitude that I "dedicate" this posting to my parents today. I thank them for continuing to be an example in so many ways for me, Steve and the kiddos. I know they probably won't read this unless Kevin goes and pulls them into their office to read it, but I am so thankful for their lasting and true love...

We are off to Wesley's baseball game. Take the time tonight to tell someone you love them... and mean it! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your Mom and Dad. Mine have been together this past March for 35 years.They say that they not only love each other, but they still like each other :)
Gorgeous pictures too.

Amy said...

Congrats to your parents, sounds like they have a truly AMAZING marriage! I loved reading what you wrote about them, beautiful! Loved your rose photos too, they're so pretty!