Wednesday, March 07, 2012

03/07/12

 

Steve and I finally saw The Help this past week.

I loved the movie.

But it made me mad.

I have talked about this on here before, but it's my blog so I can visit it again. :) If you haven't seen The Help I recommend you seeing it.  I don't want to give too much away just in case, but I think you can get my point.

I realize I did not live during that time of turmoil in our country.

I realize it was "normal" for many white people to feel that people with colored skin were inferior, but I must admit that I hope I would have been like the character "Skeeter."

I have asked myself a lot lately when did this type of thing begin?  

Why would any set of people think that they were better than someone else?  Why would someone think they could treat someone poorly just because of the color of their skin?

As I thought on this, I realized it all started with pride.

I am guessing that one group of people began to have more pride and think their way or their color of skin was the "better" way.

Satan is at the root of all of this.  God does not see color as we see it.  I was reminded of this late last week as I was teaching my students about Samuel choosing David to be the next king.  When Samuel thought the oldest of Jesse's children should become the king because of how he *looked*, the Lord clearly spoke to him this:

I Samuel 16:7
...Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

There are plenty of people out there that have the same color of skin as me that I would not want to associate with because of what is in the heart. 

Evolution actually began the "race" card.  

Survival of the fittest as they call it.

Satan began Evolution... he wants to use anything he can to cause us to fight each other and not see each other as God created us to be.

There is no "race"... in fact, it is never mentioned like that in God's Word.  The Lord uses the word "nation" to describe different sets of people.  The verse that always helps me remember how God feels about each persons "race" is this:

Acts 17:24-27
God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

If you cut us, we all bleed the same. We all get hungry.  We all cry.  We all laugh.

Yes, God divided the nations at the Tower of Babel because they were coming together for the wrong reason.. a reason that had nothing to do with God Himself.  However, He never stated that one was better than the other.  Even though the Jewish nation is His Chosen nation, we can still become part of that family when we accept Christ.

I know things are better now and people are not as bad about this as they were in the turmoil years of our nation.  However, there are still those thoughts out there of superiority between skin colors.

One thing to remember... the color of your skin is not the color of your heart.  We need to not assume someone is a certain way just because of where they are from or what they look like on the outside.

We need to remember that we are all created in the image of God and He sent His Son to die on the cross for us all.... 

.... Red, Yellow, Black, and White they are precious in His sight.....

Let's sing that from the heart and not just from the lips.


No comments: