Thursday, April 28, 2011

04/28/11

We went to the Fine Arts Competition today in Wilmington for the Christian Schools. Mikayla was in the poetry competition. It was a two hour drive to watch her perform for a few minutes, but it was so worth it and we also got to see some of her friends/my former students perform. I was so proud of Mikayla and her hard work. She not only said the poem, but "acted" it out instead of just getting up there "saying" the poem like you would imagine some would do. Her coach, her third grade teacher, was excellent in helping her.

We will not know the results for a few days, but I couldn't have been more proud of my girl. Whether she won a ribbon or not she is a winner to us. It was a great day to be with her away from school and just be a Mom. Her poem was so fitting for today because we have had a lot of storms and rain.... and hers was about a camel on Noah's ark. Here it is:

Camel Complaint
by Marty Nystrom

"Rain, rain, go away,"
Cried Camille on the fortieth day.
"How much longer will it pour?
I just can't take it anymore!"

"I know that it's a blessing
To be sailing on this cruise,
But the weather's so depressing,
And I'm battling the blues."

"I don't mean to make a fuss,
To murmur and complain,
But we camels aren't accustomed
To a climate with much rain."

"I'm really not a grump,
It's just that my hump
Is drowning in this ever-drenching drizzle.
I sound like a scrooge,
But this daily deluge
Is causing all my fur to frizzle."

"The gator and the otter
Are at home in all this water;
'The wetter, the better,' they say.
But all this pitter-patter
Makes my teeth just clink and clatter
As I shiver in wet weather through the day."

"Surely you can understand,
I'm homesick for the desert sand,
And I cannot contain my sorrow.
I can only hope and pray
For an end to all this gray,
And that the sun will finally come tomorrow."

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I love the poem! I always tell my girls that giving something your very best effort is success. Plus all Glory to God :)Sounds like you enjoyed the competition. So lucky that yours is only a few hours away. We travel about 8 hours to compete. Hope you had a wonderful Easter!