Wednesday, April 27, 2011

04/27/11

So... since I don't already have a billion things going on, I decided to bring out an "old friend" and begin something again:

Yep... you guessed it correctly if you guessed cross-stitch.

When I was younger I cross-stitched ALL of the time. I loved it, and still did, but just didn't have the time for it when we got married and I started working, etc...

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. We were in the mountains and I saw a bookmark where I could teach Mikayla how to cross-stitch. I figured if I loved it, surely she would to! That started out OK, but she didn't "love" it then like I did so I didn't push it.

Fast forward to the NC Project - Mikayla did (and wanted to do!) a cross-stitch sampler. She really enjoyed it even though it was something she had to do more hurriedly because of the project. She kept telling me she wanted to do a horse and butterfly when she finished. That got me excited so I decided to go up in the attic and get out all of my old cross-stitch stuff. It was like Christmas!! I found receipts from an old store called "Piece Goods" (anyone remember that store??) where I had bought thread. It was from 1991. I had fabric I had forgotten I had and other supplies that got me excited. I also went online to this website where it had cross-stitch patterns you could order and download. As I was looking for horses and butterflies for Mikayla it hit me.... I could start this up again myself! There are some nights that I don't want to read because my brain is too tired, but I want to do something anyway. Working with my hands would be the perfect way to be relaxing yet doing something at the same time.

SO.... when I ordered Mikayla's horse and butterfly patterns, I also ordered a pattern to start for Wesley. When I started the new project it was like it is when you ride a bike.... all the things I used to do kind of fell back in place.

I can't become obsessive over this like I find myself doing with so many things in my life. lol BUT... it is something that I can keep by my side of the couch and work on when I have a minute without feeling like it has to be done in a certain amount of time. I find it is good to work with your hands and watch something be created right in front of you.

Cross-stitching always reminds me of how God views our life. He takes us one stitch at a time. He can see the whole picture like I see the pattern, but each stitch is a lesson in life that colors our world into what God wants us to be.

Can you guess what this will be? I'll keep you posted on how it looks as I work on it.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I used to do lots of cross stitch, but the eyes & the hands no longer are "fit" for such activity. It's neat that you are getting to pass that on to your kids. I had one grandma who did "tatting" which is now nearly a lost art. I never did learn it from her & wish I could have.