Wednesday, September 29, 2010

09/29/10

I had to show these pics.... we are out of school today because of a Convention for the teachers. Since we have been studying insects at school, one of my kids brought in a couple of chrysalis' for us to watch. One of them never opened which was quite sad. She brought in another last week and we have been anxiously watching it. The chrysalis was green with gold dots. At the time we had no idea what butterfly it was going to turn into!

Since I knew we wouldn't be at school today I took it home because you could see the green thinning and I didn't want it to hatch and us not be there to let it go.

Wouldn't you know it... this morning it appeared! AND... it was a Monarch. (You can read more about the process of Monarch metamorphosis at the link there) :)

Wesley and Mikayla were so excited. I was just bummed my students didn't get to see it, too.

Of course, I took some pictures for them. :)

Here is the Monarch not long after it hatched. Wesley had let it crawl on his fingers so it could get out of the insect cage. It is pumping its wings!

Wesley was trying to be so careful while holding it. He and Mikayla said you could feel the wings were still damp.

Just beautiful!
Just like this butterfly changed from the inside out, so do we change when we accept the Lord as our Savior. We continue to grow and "pump our wings" to be more like Him.

I hope my kiddos enjoy seeing this.... especially Julieanne since she brought it in!!!

4 comments:

Lori H. said...

I was just looking at the chrysalis yesterday....amazed at the gold spots. How awesome that such a beautiful butterfly came out of it.

Wonderful pictures, too!! I don't think you can ever see too many beautiful butterfly pictures!

Sandy said...

Isn't just "the way it goes" w/it opening while the kids were away... But so glad you & your kids got to see it! How beautiful!
When we were at the L.& S. Museum a couple of weeks ago, they had a wall of those & they were in various stages of opening - very neat!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sight. Just one of Gods small miracles.I know Makayla and Wesley had a fit.
Love! Love1

Gretchen said...

How NEATO!!!
Sorry your class missed it, but glad your kiddos got to experience it!