Saturday, September 18, 2010

09/18/10

I have so enjoyed watching the butterflies this year. A friend recently posted on her blog that they were "beautiflies" and I so agree.

We have always loved butterflies around here because of Mikayla loving them so. I have found an even deeper appreciation for them this year. To watch how graceful they are as they glide through the air to lightly land on a flower and begin enjoying the nectar is amazing to me every time. I have photographed so many and as I have looked at them they began to look the same, but it was almost addictive to catch them in their glory.

On one particular day a couple of weeks ago Wesley said he saw a Monarch. I honestly wasn't sure he actually saw that because I know a Viceroy looks so much like them. As I was outside a day or so later admiring the butterflies I noticed the same butterfly... and began to capture it with my lens. I was so excited as most of the time this summer I have photographed swallowtails. I was awestruck at the black body with white dots all over.

I truly thought this was just a Viceroy... until closer inspection when I uploaded the pics on the computer. This was truly a Monarch!! The white dots on the abdomen became the sure sign it was a Monarch. I also counted the lines on the wings after looking in our Butterflies and Moths book.

A simple gift from the Lord.

I hope you enjoy..... click on any to view the beauty larger and see more detail.

These last two are basically the same shot just taken different ways.

2 comments:

Vonda said...

What a fantastic photo! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

These are BEAUTIFUL!!! Love them all!