Friday, September 24, 2010

09/24/10

This is a hornet... from what I can tell and what I have seen, it is a Japanese Hornet.

If you click on this you can view the face in more detail.


One of these stung me as a child. It was quite painful.

You may wonder why I have photographed it...

Well, it was dead. :)

I was brave enough to pick up the thing when I dumped it out of my mop bucket yesterday afternoon getting ready to clean the house.

As I began to look at its head I could see the three simple eyes at the top and the compound eyes on the side. It was awesome! I teach this to my students and have never seen those in person before... always in a drawing or a picture not my own.

I decided I needed to grab the camera and photograph these for my students. I will print them and enlarge them so the children can see them easily, but for now, here they are in digital form for your viewing pleasure... :)

Notice the stinger... still there!


Do you see the three simple eyes on top of its head and the compound eyes on the side?

This one is basically like the first shot but I couldn't help including it, too. :)
Check out how the antennae are in segments... I talked about that with my students and it was so neat to see it up close!!!

Notice its mandible as well....


God's Creation still amazes me.... no matter what it may be.

1 comment:

Lori H. said...

Madison and I just checked these out in close-up view. Madison says the pictures are both cool and "eeewwww!"

It's amazing how much detail you captured, you excellent photographer you!