Sunday, December 31, 2006

12/31/06

I figured this picture was appropriate for today since the sun is setting on another year.

The last day of 2006. It is hard to believe that another year has passed. God has been with us through it all and I am thankful for His presence. Here are a few things I thought of in looking back on this year. They are truly in so specific order, some are silly, but the first few really are important as well as the last one. :)

Things I learned in 2006:

1. God wants us to give our best for HIM and not look for the favor of others. If we are pleasing the Lord we are doing what is right.

2. I may think I have finally "got it" but I find more and more each day how inadequate I really am. It is only by the Lord's strength and what He gives me that I can accomplish anything.

3. I never realized that the age of 6 is like the "terrible twos" we never experienced. It certainly has been challenging being a parent this year. At times I feel like I fail them, but I know it is all in the process of child rearing.

4. It is very easy to lose sight of your spouse in the hectic world of work/children/house. Steve and I didn't go on many dates this year and I regret that tremendously. We need to work on that in 2007. He has been wonderful to me all year long but I know our "US" time has been few and far between.

5. I cannot work all day and keep my house spotless. I also can't create gourmet meals. LOL I have had to learn to accept I can't do it all and that it is OK. My house truly frustrates me at times but I have to look past it and do what has to be done.

6. This year has been interesting with certain aches and pains creeping in that I never even THOUGHT of before. I just shake my head sometimes at things I know I could do quite well even last year and now I think twice before doing them. ha!! Hopefully I'll work on that in 2007, too. :)

7. I didn't think it could happen but I get busier with each passing year. I used to think when the twins were little that it was so busy. Now I realize I wasn't as busy as I thought... or maybe it was just different. I guess with them being in school and all that our days seem so much more busy.

8. We can't keep fish alive in our tank. I know that seems silly, but truly we have had issues with that. We have one named "Survivor" that has outlasted most of them. We just lost another guppy the other day.

9. " Live well, laugh often and love much" is such a true statement. We need to be thankful for each day the Lord has given to us.

10. God is still performing miracles. I saw that with my Mom in 2005 but this year we have seen it with our youth pastor, Mike McCaskill. He has a brain tumor as well as complications from that tumor that have caused him to be in the hospital for months. He wasn't supposed to live past September. God is beyond awesome because we found out this past week that his tumor, which usually doubles in size in 30 days, is not showing ANY growth. This is only after 2 chemo treatments. He is starting to come back from the coma he was in for so long and beginning to talk and walk, etc. He is a marvel to the scientific world but we know it is all from God. God is the One Who gets ALL of the credit for what we are seeing in Mike. We are looking forward everyday to see the progress he makes. Steve and I went to see him yesterday and it is so uplifting to talk with his family. They all are blessed with each day they have with him and give God all of the glory for what is taking place. Mike still has a long way to go, but he has come SO far.

I wish you all a wonderful 2007. May the Lord shine His face upon you and give you all peace. He alone can give that peace that so many people are wanting. I am thankful I have Him to carry me through all of the ups and downs I face in a year. I am truly blessed and grateful for all the Lord has done for me in 2006.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you Kellie! I loved reading this post. And how wonderful to hear of Mike's progress, his recovery so far is definitely from God! Your photo is beautiful too.