Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Amish country

The Amish country was just beautiful... I didn't want to leave. The slower pace and the beauty of the area was just a peaceful thing. It made me realize just how hurried a life we lead. I realize those people work VERY hard and I know that I am not cut out to work a day like they do, but sometimes I wish life was more like that. When people worked hard like that for their things they appreciated them more. It seems we work hard now, too, but differently, and we are such a disposable society that it doesn't take much for us to dispose of something or someone. We went on an audio tour in our vehicle first and then went on a buggy ride later. It was great. We learned quite a bit about the area around us and got to see a lot of farms and areas that normally we wouldn't have seen. The Amish are an interesting group of people. I saw some children in different places that we went and they were just precious. There was one little girl, in particular, that I just wanted to get some pictures of, but I respected their wishes of not having any pics taken. Something else that amazed me about them was that ones that I saw on their farms walked around everywhere barefooted!! I don't know how they handled the hot asphalt that I saw some of them walking on. I guess they are used to it....goes to show you that I am the "city girl" I didn't think I was. LOL I kept thinking..."I guess they don't get manicures and pedicures, huh??" Of course, not that I get them much either.

Today I slept too late again. Not a good thing....I am a night owl by nature and can stay up late and get up late, but life goes by you when you do that. There are so many things I could accomplish if I had just gotten up out of that bed. LOL BUT...I have done that all year so this is a nice break. I do plan on doing more work around the house tomorrow. Today we went to visit my best friend's daughter who had her wisdom teeth taken out. We spent all afternoon there and then it was time to take the kids to Vacation Bible School. Steve and I went out to eat supper after we dropped them off, then we went shopping for a couple of things. On the way to the restaurant we saw another beautiful double rainbow. It was so bright and vibrant!! It had been a weird weather day...sunny outside and thundering at the same time, so I wasn't surprised when I saw them. Just another sign of God's promises to us. He never fails and I am so thankful.

Off to eat some more Hershey chocolate...... hee hee

No comments: