Monday, November 29, 2010

11/29/10


This last set of leaves with the green and red is getting us ready for Christmas!

Speaking of Christmas.... wanna hear what happened to me?

Last night Steve and I began to wrap presents.

Now, before you think we are "Johnny and Johnette on the Spot" this is not a normal occurrence for us. We usually wrap the gifts almost right before we give them to people. We have never seemed to have that part together because presents are all over the place and I am always worried I am going to miss someone.

This year I wanted to be more together and asked Steve if he would begin Friday night while I finished up Christmas cards. He wrapped a few but ran out of boxes.... and tape.

Fast forward to last night.

We had boxes.

We had tape.

We were working together for the common goal of wrapping presents and getting to see them sitting under our tree for basically the whole Christmas season!

As I was sitting by the tree wrapping a present while we watched the Carolina game, I was attacked by something.

Our Christmas tree fell on top of me.

Wanna read that again? Yep, it is true.

I am knocked over by our very own, just bought and decorated Christmas tree.

I was stunned there for a few minutes.

Wesley awoke to Steve yelling: "Holy Mackerel King Fish.... are you alright!?"

(I am laughing as I type this.... it should have made it to the America's Funniest Home Videos or something....)

As the tree goes down I am seeing ornaments fly past my head.

The angel on top begins to fly back and forth. Hark the Herald Angels sing just took on a new meaning.

Hallmark ornaments, sentimental ornaments, silly ornaments.... all go crashing to the floor... and into my back and hair.

I couldn't do anything for a minute or so. I was just so stunned. lol Steve was trying to see if I was alright. All I could do?

Laugh.

Why not? It was better than crying at the moment!

We finally got the tree back into its correct position thanks to the help of Wesley. I was really no help by this point.

I picked up the many ornaments that made it to the floor. There were three that had been "injured" and will need some super glue surgery. They were all Hallmark ornaments. You know how much those things cost.

Poor Tinkerbell broke her neck and was a bit "Katywompas"

Wesley's John Deere tractor from one of his years lay in pieces.

Our little Santa's head had broken off.

Remember all of those presents we had wrapped?

They were now wet. Wesley had to dry them off with a towel. I think they will be OK.

The last time Steve and I tried to wrap presents early our tree stand got a crack in it and soaked the presents under the tree. Many of those were almost ruined or had to be re-wrapped.

Hmmm..... maybe we should just not worry so much about wrapping presents and putting them under the tree. Handing people their gifts in a Walmart bag would relieve a lot of stress.

Have you had any Christmas "moments" you would like to share?

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

One year we had aHUGE tree. I reached behind the tree to turn on the stereo system. When I opened the cabinet door, I said to my mom, "why did {hubby} put a jumprope back here?" But I don't think I completed the sentence because I quickly figured out that the jumprope was holding the tree in place. I caught the tree but it was too heavy for my mom and I to get it back into the treestand. I had to call my man at work and ask him (sheepishly) to come home NOW. :)

Sandy M. said...

Our 2nd Christmas we had the great idea (read it somewhere) to put our tree in a bucket of sand. We came home late one night & I decided to water the tree. As I walked back to the kitchen, I heard a huge crash... the tree had toppled & lots of glass ornaments had hit the hearth (the fireplace didn't even work in our rental house!) We "righted" the tree but realized we'd need more sand. So I stood there holding the tree up while hubby DROVE down the road a ways where he knew there was some sand... Being so young & foolish, we didn't think to just let the tree lay there until he came back! I was about to faint by the time he returned! Never used sand again!

Sandy M. said...

PS: Glad you are okay!
Steve is putting our tree up tomorrow while I drive back. If I had any presents to wrap, I could do some when I get home...
Just sayin'....

wendy said...

I've had nothing even close to that happen to me. I bet you sing O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, How lovely are your branches with a bit more emotion now, huh?
:)