Tuesday, November 02, 2010

11/02/10

May I take you on a foggy tour of lighthouses off the coast of Bar Harbor, Maine?

We were not able to go on our Whale Watching Tour because the fog was so thick that morning. We decided to schedule a tour of the lighthouses, which was exciting for me because I love to see the different ones out there.

As we left, Mom and Dad see us off at the dock. "Trishie" doesn't do boats.


As we anxiously awaited going out to see these lighthouses, we were soon met with fog...

LOTS OF FOG.

When the boat began to pick up speed we were also met with water splashing us. This was not cool droplets floating along the deck to cool us off on a hot July day.

NO.

This was downright frigid water pelting us and at times soaking parts of our bodies. There is no such thing as "cool" refreshing water in the northern Atlantic.

We soon moved inside the boat.... which was a bit of a bummer because I had wanted to capture so much from the outside.

Like I could really see it with all the fog.

Inside we pleasantly rode out our foggy experience by being quite cold. Glad we wore layers!

I was glad when the boat slowed down for us to "see" a lighthouse covered in fog. I was able to actually show what it looked like outside of the inside part of the boat.

Don't hate the beauty you see here... the hair was "au naturel"from the boat ride.

I am proudly sporting my Maine sweatshirt which I LOVE.

First foggy lighthouse. It is no wonder there had to be so many lighthouses in Maine. Too bad I couldn't really see it.

As we went along there were times when there was a break in the fog and we actually saw sun. I have other pictures that prove that, but they won't be in this post.....

Wow... look yonder atop of that cliff. You can see a lighthouse fully.... but it only took a few minutes and the fog had rolled over this one again, too. Thankfully I got all of my good shots in before it was covered.

It was "stinkin' cold" out there and Mikayla proves that in this shot. lol

Yet another fog covered lighthouse. This was such a pretty area.... would love to see it with SUN.

Steve tried to capture me and the kids with that lighthouse in the background before we moved away from it. Between the amount of people, the boat moving and Steve trying to figure out my camera, this was the first shot:

This was the second shot... as you can now only see the out building of the lighthouse....

And this was a shot a nice fellow passenger took of us trying to capture a memory for us. Only, it is with no lighthouse behind us... only water.

Oh well... we still saw wonderful things as we were out on the water. I can honestly say I have experienced the cold water of the Atlantic in a way I didn't ever think I would. I don't have a thing on what the Pilgrims encountered, but it is no wonder the Pilgrims were sick!

Awaiting us at the dock were Mom and Dad. They had enjoyed a walk around Bar Harbor. It was nice to know our cell phones could reach them on land while we were at sea to let them know when we would be arriving back to the dock.
I bet the Pilgrims would have liked that, too.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

The first cruise we did was a "Cruise of the Lighthouses" w/Chuck Swindoll. It was great!