Saturday, October 17, 2009

10/17/09

First of all....

Today was chilly and when I awoke, I came into the den to find that Steve had built our first fire in the wood stove. Ahhhhh..... pure, wonderful bliss. The cats were beside themselves with joy along with their mother.

Today was the day for the fair.

It is always a long day but we just love being at the fair!

Here are our results:

Steve - fourth place on his squash!!! :)

Mikayla - second place on her brownies
third place on her blueberry bread
HONORABLE MENTION on her divinity!! (I think they understood the weather
couldn't be helped or either they felt sorry for her. lol They did say they tasted
great!)

Wesley - bless my little guys heart... his entries did not place that we saw. He took it OK.

Kellie - photograph - nothing.... I still don't know what those judges look for in a photograph. lol
scrapbook pages - Pets (Ashes) 2nd place, Kids - Fourth place
Blueberry Muffins - Honorable Mention!! YAHOOO~
Coconut/Cashew Brittle - nothing
Blueberry Jam - nothing
Apple Preserves - Third!!!!
Spicy Plum Butter - Third!!!
Cran-Strawberry Jam - Second!!!
Apple Conserve -

Well, OK, there is a story with the Apple Conserve. lol

Kevin, Daddy and I kept wandering around that area trying to find all of our entries. Kevin and I were looking for the last two we hadn't found when Daddy comes around the corner with this look on his face.... a look of "OH. MY. WORD.".... HMMM.... I thought he found something or someone I needed to see. lol

Well, yes he did find SOMETHING I needed to see.

It seems my Apple Conserve not only won First Place....

It also won BEST OF SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine????

Little 'Ole Me who has been poked and prodded by my wonderful brother all of my life to cook/bake... WON BEST OF SHOW? haahhahhahaha!

I was in such disbelief that apparently I was standing there with mouth gaped open going OH. MY. WORD. ME????? After pictures were taken and my excitement was shown to many stranger who walked up at that moment, Wesley informs me... "Mom, you embarrassed me back there when you did all of that." I told him he would just have to get over that. ha!!

They opened up the display case for me to hold it. WOW. This was something that had to sink in... and it took a while.

I must say that I felt so badly in the fact that I won this and Kevin has worked so hard all of these years. I kept apologizing to him. lol :) Here this was my first time really doing the jam/conserve/preserve making that it seemed strange for me to win this high honor. (He wasn't bothered by it, but I told him that would be like him entering a photograph for the first time and winning Best of Show... he understood my point. LOL) I would never rub it in to him that I won this and I hope he will always remember how much I appreciate his "poking and prodding" to get me in the kitchen. He shares this honor with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanna see????? hee hee


I wonder if they'll let me keep my sign with my name on it after the fair is over? :)

16 comments:

wendy said...

way to go! that's awesome!!! I've never in my life entered anything in a fair, but you guys, well, you go way out :)

Amy said...

Congrats to all of you!!! And how fun and awesome for you to win Best in Show for your apple conserves!!! :)

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Congrats to all of you!

Unknown said...

WOO HOO! Rock whatchya got!!!

You need to have a tasting party for all the stuff y'all enter. :)

Morgan said...

HA! I just saw this post, but clearly we saw your 'best of show' award today!! Did you get our message?? We were so thrilled for you. And to everybody else in the Fowler family---congrats to you too!
AWESOME WORK!!! I'm sure they would be more than happy to let you ahve your sign!

Unknown said...

Hey Kellie! I am so happy for you! How exciting! Wish I could had been around when you found out - would have loved to see your reaction! We're heading to the fair tomorrow - we'll be looking for all your goodies. I feel "special" that I got to sample so many of your goodies! Love, Christy Teague

Crissy Porter said...

Way to go Kellie! Margot and Silas and I read the blog together and we are so happy for you. It IS a big deal and it takes a lot of work. (You know the pound cake lady in Benson started her now famous company by winning first place bragging rights at the NC State Fair.) You know everybody wants a jar for christmas, so get busy!

Vonda said...

Best of Show! Very impressive! Congrats! You've inspired me. Maybe I will enter the Kentucky State Fair next year.

Gretchen said...

WAY TO GO!!!
How fun for your whole family!
I'm so impressed with all of your talent.

Here's a silly question:
What's the difference between apple preserves and apple conserve? Both sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

Wow,I am so proud of all of you . To Wesley,you are first place winner with grandma, always .I bet your entries were very good. To all of you ,way to show !!! I am so tickled for you.
Lovegrandma/Mom/Mrs. Wiggs

Amy Sykes said...

Congratulations, Kellie! And that photograph is beautiful, I don't know what those judges were thinking.

Kelly said...

Congrats on it all (especially the first place!)!! I know all of you put in a lot of work...you did great. Oh, and I haven't seen all the other entries, but I know your photo should of won something!! ;0)I'm going tomorrow to the fair...so excited!

Katrina said...

WOW! How wonderful! A big congratulations to you all. Kellie, I bet that best of show would make a terrific Christmas gift. Do you ship? haha. Enjoy the fair and the fun memories of your fair ribbons :)

Amy said...

Wow that is just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I know you were tickled to win that! I am so happy for all of you!!! Great job!!

Diana said...

I saw your name on that thing and I knew I knew Kellie Fowler, but had a real hard time trying to figure out who it was...I've got a mind like a sieve.
Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Kel,
Congrats on Best of Show. It always sounds like you all have the best time at the fair. I love you time elapse pictures. The rides look a little like space ships.
Love ya,
Donni