Tuesday, January 10, 2012

01/10/12

I love this picture.... have loved it since the day I photographed it last fall.  With us not having cold temperatures around here my winter shots are not here.  I am just relishing the beauty of a different season.  Hope you all are enjoying it, too.
 

Words.
Some are good.

Some are bad.

This past week Wes asked me what a word meant.  He heard it from someone calling one of his friends this word.  This word was not one that I want my child to know about just yet.  I realize it is going to happen.  I know they have been exposed to other words already that we have had to explain, but this one kind of hit me out of nowhere.

I was so thankful he asked me.  I will say that I did not give him the full understanding of the word just yet because I was so taken back that I was not ready to explain it.  If you have ever had your child ask you something out of the blue like that, I think you know what I mean by that statement.

However, I did tell him it was inappropriate and not a word to call someone or say to someone.  

I want so badly to cover my children from being exposed to the wrong things, but I also know that they are in the world and it will come to them eventually.  What I want is for them to always come to us instead of ask their friends and get the wrong information.  I want our kids to know that no matter what we are there for them to help them understand things in this world through a Biblical perspective.  I may not always handle it perfectly, as I do feel I didn't handle this one as well as I could have, but keeping those lines of communication open for them to know we are "safe" is one of the most important things we can give our kids.

2 comments:

Mich said...

God must be teaching me something important today...you are the second post I have read this evening on the subject of "words" and the power they hold...good or bad. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

I agree with Mich ...I have seen several posts focusing on "words" in some perspective or another! Think He must be speaking to me as well! Great post! I've learned that those open lines of communication are a blessing, no matter how old your children are. But, that open communication does start at an early age. You'll really appreciate it when they reach the college years!!! :)