Monday, November 23, 2009

11/23/09


In the midst of trials or times of sadness, I find most people turn to the book of Psalms for comfort. A couple of weeks ago my Pastor brought up a point about the Psalms that I had never thought of before.

King David went through a lot of hardships in his life. Some of those hardships were because of choices he made, some were choices made for him, and yet some were just totally out of his control. Through all of those things he learned to have a heart for God and it is so evident when you read through those scriptures in Psalms. They were written so long ago but still apply to us today. If David had never gone through those experiences we would not have that beautiful part of Scripture to glean from when we have our own needs.

King David wasn't perfect, and neither are we, but God used him in his trials to help others by speaking words of wisdom from God.... his writings have helped countless people through the ages!!

We don't all have the same pathways in life, but I take great comfort in knowing someone has "walked in my shoes" before. Just knowing someone is there praying and encouraging.... what a blessing.

Each time I read through Psalms that is what I find. There has never been a time I read through them and walked away thinking I didn't learn a little something. God's Word is the same yesterday, today and forever. May we praise Him for His Words and how they are so useful for us even today!

Psalm 119:97 - O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:103 - How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth.

Psalm 119:105 - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:114 - Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.

Psalm 119:133 - Order (direct) my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

Psalm 119:143 - Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: yet thy commandments are my delights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was so timely for me tonight when I read them. Thanks!!

Kim