Wednesday, April 09, 2008

04/09/08

Here are some dogwood pics... more to come. I aimlessly walked around the yard yesterday afternoon capturing these. The wind was still a blowing and so it was still challenging to get great focus, but I did alright on these. :) Today, I look outside and the sun is shining and I truly can't see any movement on plants! I should have waited a day!!! The two that look like the same picture basically are, but they have different f/stops. One makes the petals more soft and out of focus and the other has most everything in focus.

As I look at these and continue to see detail in the beauty of God's Creation, I am still in awe. There are more things I am seeing through this new lens when I photograph them than I ever have in my life. I am loving looking at the "drops" of pollen or other things that appear on a flower or anything else! I was actually a bit surprised at that "starburst" area of the middle of the dogwood. I never knew that happened nor have I ever taken the time to really look before. It is like I have out my magnifying glass and am seeing things for the first time.

As I was driving home today from school I kind of thought about that a lot in the context of God's Word. How many times have I read a verse or read parts of Scripture and "skimmed" it to say that I had read it? In my Bible reading right now I have just finished the book of John and the Lord has now led me to go through the book of Luke. I am reading it a chapter at a time and reading my study notes that go along with it. It is like I am seeing God's Words through my macro lens and I am "seeing" things in a different way that for so long I have just taken for granted. That is the beauty of God's Word... it will never return void and we can always learn something new no matter how many times we read the same parts of Scripture. I am thankful for the continual molding and changing He does in my life.

The dogwood is a picture of Christ. I wish I had the story about that, but don't have it at the moment. I am sure my online friend Amy could find it!!! :) She is so good about finding stuff like that!

I hope you enjoy these dogwood pictures. We have the white ones and pink ones in our yard. I am loving the differences in both!

This week has been Achievement Testing at school. It has gone well, overall, and I have been doing my annual art project of marblizing with my students. (No, it does not involve marbles!) For those of you that have had students in my class, this is one of those "Mrs. Fowler Memory Moments"... for those of you that haven't experienced my teaching, maybe I'll show ya one day. :) Tomorrow is the last day we are doing it. Funny thing, usually by this time of the week I am about to go crazy with the "mess" that accompanies this large art project, but this year I am taking it in stride. My desk at school is a mess along with my room but I am just "letting go" right now. I can't divide myself but so many ways so I am continuing to learn to release. I know by Friday it will be more back to normal. It is just for a season.

The kids had a birthday party right after school today so they have just gotten home from that. We have church in a bit so I need to close.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful day. Try to take time to see the details in something in your life. It may be through your Bible reading or something you have in your life. Whatever it is, be thankful for the details and small things in life. Without them we wouldn't have the big picture. :)

3 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Achievement Testing and I didn't bring juice. The Cartusciello's always bring juice for the week. :-)

Reading my Bible, and lots of other things on my "catch-up" list for next week.

Morgan said...

Well not to steal Amy's thunder, but the Dogwood story is one of my favorites. Here's a link to it...thru a church in Seagrove, NC

http://www.riversidebaptistnc.com/frames.htm?http%3A//www.riversidebaptistnc.com/comment/dogwood_story.htm

Beautiful pictures!!!

Morgan said...

ok...the link didn't work--Don't wanna take up all your comment space, but here's the story......

It is said that at the time of the
crucifixion of Christ, the Dogwood
was a very large tree, big as an oak.
The Dogwood was so even-textured,
firm and strong that it was chosen
as the timber for the cross.
Thus to be used for such a cruel
purpose greatly distressed
the tree. Jesus sensed this.
He--who noted even the sparrow's fall--
whose last compassion was for
a repentant thief--
similarly forgave the repentant
Dogwood Tree for its unfortunate fate.

As he was nailed upon it,
he sensed the painful
remorse of the tree.
In gentle pity for all the sorrow
and suffering of every living thing,
he said to the tree,
"Because of your share of my suffering,
never again shall
the Dogwood Tree grow large enough
and strong enough to
be put to such a purpose as this."
He said, "Henceforth,
the Dogwood shall be slender
and bent and twisted,
that it might forever remain
unmolested by the tools of cruel men.
And the blossoms shall be
in the form of a cross.
Two long petals and two short.
And in the center of each petal
there will be nail prints,
Crown with rust and stained with red.
And in the center of the flower
will be a crown--of thorns.
And all who pass and see
the Dogwood tree.
Will remember me."

Author Unknown