Tuesday, July 24, 2012

07/24/12

Here is our next adventure at the arboretum.... dangerous plants.  
They had an exhibit there that talked about Wicked Plants.  It was quite interesting to find out how some foods we normally eat are poisonous if not cooked correctly or if eaten a certain way.  I wish I had written more of them down, but we were trying to get outside before it started raining.

I wanted to share some exciting finds that were there... these are some that I do know a little bit about simply because I read about them to my students each year when we study plants.  These plants I am showing you today do not receive enough light to make their own food... hence, they have to catch their food in their clever vices.

First off we have:
Pitcher Plants
 Interesting facts about Pitcher Plants:
  • It lives in the rainforest.
  • The leaves are slippery.
  • An insect can land on the rim of the leaf drawn to it by the sweet smell inside.
  • Before long, the insect loses its footing and slips and slides down the walls of the plant.
  • The insect then finds itself in a pool of water at the bottom. 
  • The plant releases an acid and the insect, well, is no longer.
  • Doesn't sound like a pitcher I want to be around anytime soon....


Our next "Wicked Plant" is:
Sundew Leaf

Here are a couple of up close pictures of the sundew leaf.  I must say I love the macro shots of them!


Interesting Facts about the sundew leaf:
  • The leaf is covered with hundreds of hairs that have a gluey bead on the end.
  • The insect gets stuck on the beads.
  • The leaf curls over the insect and devours said insect.
  • Nice, huh?

Next:
The Bladderwort
 Facts about the bladderwort:
  • This is an underwater plant.
  • The stems have hollow pouches with trapdoors... that are secret.... like in a murder mystery novel or something.
  • When an insect (like a mosquito larva) touches the trapdoor, the door opens and water rushes in.
  • The insect is taken into the pouch and consumed.
  • Remind me not to ever sit on one of those...

And, last but not least:
The Venus Flytrap
(I had one of these when I was little... they are quite fascinating)
 The "jaws" do not really hurt humans... I have stuck my finger in one before.
Interesting facts about Venus's fly-trap:

  • The plant's leaves stay open when waiting for their next victim.
  • When a yummy creature hops into the leaves, they close shut.
  • The plant will then feed on the animal juices.
  • Flies seem to be a delectable choice, but frogs (and other small insects/creatures) have been known to be eaten by this plant. 
  • I don't think I'll tell Wesley.

No comments: