Friday, July 06, 2012

07/06/12

The above picture was taken a few years back at Wesley and Mikayla's birthday party.

The woman in blue was Marie King.... affectionately known to us as "Aunt Ree."

I say "was" because our beloved Aunt Ree died on Independence Day.

She is now truly free.

Today we celebrated her life in the way she would have wanted:  a simple graveside service. 

She was generous, loving, and had a huge heart.

Her door was always open to anyone.

She was kind but you also couldn't run over her.  :)

I remember the coffee I used to drink at her house when I was a child.  I remember the cup.  I think she may even still have it.

I remember the times I played Weeble Wobbles and Little People with my cousins at her house.  They had some neat stuff.

I remember the hard work she put into her garden and the canning and freezing that she did each summer as I was growing up.

I remember the creamed potatoes and turnip greens she had every Christmas.

I remember going over to her house to visit with the kids one day and she fixed us a straight up meal... creamed potatoes, fried chicken, etc.....  Something we just wouldn't have fixed for ourselves for lunch. 

And she did it because she loved us.  She loved people.  She loved to help.

She was my Mom's oldest sister but also her best friend and because of that her loss is even greater.

Our hearts will forever remember her....

I am so thankful her suffering is over and she is with Jesus.

Rest well, Aunt Ree.... until I see you again.

3 comments:

Lori H. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman. (((hugs)))

wendy said...

I'm so sorry. I like to think that perhaps she and my Aunt Nancy will get together up There and have themselves a nice long chit chat.

Mrs. Huntley said...

So sorry, Kellie for your family's loss. May God be in your grief and give you peace.