Monday, July 02, 2012

07/02/12

You may think this is a strange thing to photograph... the thorns of a tree/bush.  In what I am going to share today, it makes me think of the world.  Hope it flows well with what I want to say.
This past weekend my best friend and I were able to get together to celebrate my birthday.  With our schedules going in fifty million directions it is sometimes hard to find that time. It was a glorious time just being with her laughing and sharing our thoughts.

While we were at the restaurant for supper, the Head Chef came up to welcome us.  It is a new restaurant and he wanted us to feel welcome.  It was very nice and he was happy we were there celebrating my birthday.

He asked about our plans for the evening and we shared we were going to take in a movie and then just have more girl time to talk.  He said we should come back and have some alcoholic drinks so we could really have fun.  I told him that I was a person that didn't need drinks to have fun and I was going to be fine just spending time with my friend.  He continued to encourage us to come back and have a real time of fun.

What he didn't realize is that kind of thing is not fun for me.  It never will be.

I know that most of his customers would agree that getting drunk and partying the night away would be the only way to have fun.  I realize that he sees that most often and I am not there to judge the man.  What I do know is that I wanted him to realize that I have joy.... that only comes from Christ.

As I thought about it yesterday during church I couldn't help but think I missed an opportunity to say just that... my joy and fun comes from Christ.  I don't think quickly on my feet.... it takes time for me to think about what to say in certain situations, but it was also a learning experience for me of how to continue to stand up for true joy and fun which is so opposite from the world's view.

This situation brought to mind again something I have been thinking on for the past few weeks/months.  The older I get the more I realize how this world is not my home.

The picture I posted above shows me a visual of how I should not be comfortable in this world because it really isn't HOME.  Thorns aren't some place that I want to hang around in for long because they do nothing but hurt.  The world in all its temptations and "joys" do nothing but cause pain.

Yes, I love the life the Lord has given me.  I love my family, friends, and how I have things.

But things can never give me true joy.  Only what Christ does for me and through me can I experience lasting joy.

John 10:10
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I keep singing this song over and over in my head as I think of the world not being my home.  Enjoy:


No comments: