Tuesday, June 12, 2012

06/12/12

Yesterday the kids and I went to a funeral with my Mom.  One of her friends from church had died last week and she was a special lady.

Last week the kids went with Mom to another funeral for a dear saint in our church.  Steve and I couldn't go because of a previously scheduled appointment but I was so glad the kids went with Mom.

These have been some of their first tastes of death where they really remember the person who died.  They have gone to funerals before, but they were too young before to really grasp all that was happening.

I'll be the first to say I have a hard time attending funerals.  It isn't because of lack of compassion and care for the family.... it is usually because the burden they are going through in the loss of someone dear is so heavy on me, too, that I don't feel I can bear it.  I honestly don't know how the families get through it.

But then, I remember that death is not the enemy for a Christian.  Those who know Christ as Savior need not despair or lose hope because one day we will see our loved ones/friends, that also know Christ as Savior, again. 

God holds us during all of those times and He is holding our friends who have recently lost loved ones.

Wesley was quite impacted at the funeral of the gentleman who passed away last week.  At the funeral the pastor shared how the gentleman had underlined information in his Bible and Pastor read certain passages that were special to the precious man who had passed.  Wesley said he wanted to be like this man... he wanted people to see how he had learned things in his Bible and such. 

Even in death, we can be an example to others.

The funeral yesterday was no different.  It was a time to reflect on the legacy of this precious lady and all of those she cared for and to which she showed compassion.  It truly was a celebration of her life... the life she LIVED.  The life she reflected of Christ.

Anytime someone passes from this world, it causes one to think on life. 

What kind of impact am I making in this world?

Who would come to my funeral?

What would be said?

Have I made an impact for Christ, most importantly?

Have I been there for others and shown compassion?

Do I live my life fully as to the Lord and do people see me the same whether I am at home or in public?

There were all kinds of things that passed through my mind yesterday and in the past week, for that matter.  Three people who we knew passed away within days of each other.  They always say death comes in three's.

We all have a day we live and a day we die.  There is a dash in between those dates.  God is with us when we breathed our first breath and He will be with us when we breathe our last. 

born - died

What are we doing to live for God in the dash of our life? 

What matters most is eternity.

2 comments:

lissawertz said...

Great thoughts, Kellie, thanks for sharing! The one thing I took away from both funerals was how important it is to be letting my light shine. Mr. Buffaloe and Mrs. Honeycutt would both have described themselves as ordinary people, but they were brightly shining lights on this earth! I was so moved to be making sure my light is shining in the few days that God has given me here.

Mich said...

It is always important to stop and look at what our purpose is in this world and who we are an example for.

thanks for the reminder.