Thursday, May 31, 2012

05/31/12

 

I should still be cleaning out the office as it is quite disastrous right now, but I needed a break so let's chat.

Let's talk TV today.

Specifically, let's talk about the show "Toddlers and Tiaras"....

OH. MY. WORD.

I have seen this show several times before in the past year or so but not until we have been on break have Mikayla and I sat and watched it for a longer period of time.

What are these people thinking????

The things that these young girls are being taught... and at such a young age!... are beyond my comprehension.

There is definitely not taught a humbleness with the ones we have seen.  

These parents are pushing these little girls to be so adult-like and the attitudes... goodness.

We watched an episode last night where the 3 year old was rotten to the core and the Mom thought she was just being "independent."  Yeah... that independence is going to rear its ugly head one day in the form of a teenager with a whole lot of 'tude and no respect.  There was also a five year old who used foul language!!!

Mikayla and I just shook our heads.  I asked her what she thought these parents were teaching their children and she listed off a slew of things like: pride, to be demanding, no respect, unthankful, etc...

I completely understand there are some legitimate contests out there but, honestly, I have no desire to have my daughter prance on stage in front of a crowd just to see how many crowns and trophies she can get for being "pretty" and cute.  Beauty is on the inside... not on the outside.  The girls we saw may have been adorable in all their makeup, but on the inside it was rotten to the core.

As I did my devotions last night the Lord gave me these verses and, as always, I was thankful for His gentle reminder of how He wants us to be in this world and what He desires parents to teach their children:

I Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart

James 4:6
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

I Peter 5:5-6
 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook this morning and I thought it was hysterical, but so true as to what I discussed today.

"... can't wait to see the follow up reality show that will come after "Toddlers In Tiaras" ... "Terrors in Teens," "Tantrums in Twenties," "Twisted in Thirties," "Fits in Forties," "Fakes in Fifties," and "Sick in Sixties." ... After that, I just don't think anyone would want to see that train wreck ... :P"

No comments: