Tuesday, December 22, 2009

12/22/09


Today has been a day filled with trying to find my house again, watching Christmas movies/videos and wrapping some presents. It was nice to not be in such a hurry this morning to get everything accomplished... even though I still have much to do. No one will be coming to our house this year for a "formal" gathering, so my clutter will be fine where it is until I can sort through it all.
Good news is... the "Mount Everest" of clothing that was clean and had spilled over onto the floor because I had folded NOTHING from last weeks washing has finally been folded. Of course, I washed several loads today so that is really not over, is it? lol

I never showed my poor "Whoville" tree from school. Here she is:


This tree has carried me through fourteen Christmases with my students. Unfortunately, this was its last. She had two areas on her base where it was cracked and it was a miracle she stayed upright the entire month of school. She also had issues with her branches staying where they should. At one point this year she was quite "cockeyed" and I tried to fix her but when I did she fell right over!! Once I got her upright again and in one spot, I told my students we could not go near her or breathe near her anymore for fear of a repeat performance.

I have had many friends over the last couple of years tell me to get rid of her... and this year I had to do it. She just wouldn't hold on any longer. I shall always miss this tree because one of my parents from my first year of teaching gave her to me. The new one should work just fine, but my sweet memories of the kids who have decorated her branches will always be close to my heart.

Am I being a bit too dramatic and sappy over a fake tree? Maybe so, but that is just who I am. Those who know me in person realize this and love me anyway.

We found out today that "Frosty the Snowman Returns" is a horrible follow-up to the sweet "Frosty the Snowman" cartoon movie. YUCK.

I will never get tired of watching "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" as I did today with the kiddos. Everyone sing with me: "Put one foot in front of the other.... and soon you'll be walking out the door...." Those memories of the movies I watched as a child are also the memories for our own two. Love, love, love that special "magical" time of Christmas.

Yesterday we took the kids to see Santa. I had to LAUGH when I saw Mikayla not only brought her typed out list for him, but also two American Girl Doll magazines. He told her he would keep those and take them back with him to the North Pole. LOL That girl is something....

We've never gotten around to taking the kids to see a Christmas movie in the theater this year. It may have to be a "New Year" treat. I'm finding the older they get the busier we get!! I am thankful for this break so we can do some things we haven't had time to do lately.

Off to do more "traditions" and make more memories....

Happy Birthday to my Daddy today! :)

No comments: