Saturday, March 08, 2008

03/08/08



I don't believe I ever showed or talked about the roses Steve sent me last week! He surprised me at school and sent me a dozen red roses "Just Because." It was quite sweet and I appreciated and loved them very much. My kids kept saying "Mr. Flower gave Mrs. Flower some flowers!" (They occasionally call me "Mrs. Flower" accidentally and then it sticks.) I hate that roses die so quickly, though. I was glad I got a few pictures before they faded. They are dead as a doornail now so I can continue to enjoy these pics. lol

Today was quite the blustery day!! We had 40-50mph winds and it was definitely evident. We didn't go out much today. I don't think my head could have taken it and Wesley didn't need to be out in it either.

We did go to our AWANA Olympics, though. They were in our gym so it wasn't too bad. We just stayed for the Sparks group, of which I am the Director, and then left. We were going to go eat lunch with Steve and see him a bit since he was working all day today but when I called they had to eat early. I didn't see the need to go and sit around and watch him work so we just ran an errand and came back home. (I actually went to get pictures printed from my CF card. I had pictures on there from the middle of December!!!!)

We came home and I let the kids eat a "picnic" lunch inside while we watched The Wizard of Oz. I watched a lot of it... but dozed through most of it. lol I think the kids watched it all, though. They enjoyed it. I love that movie. I was telling them about the "history" behind the movie where it was the first movie that had color introduced to it. It was released during the Great Depression. People would go to the movies to get away from their troubles and were used to seeing only black and white. My history professor in college said that when people saw what was behind the door that Dorothy pulled back when her house landed they were so shocked! They had never seen color on the screen before. From what I remember The Wizard of Oz was made just for the reason of taking people "away" from their problems of the Depression. My professor in college grew up during the Depression so he witnessed a lot of things that made history come alive for me. His class was the one I remember the most and wish I could go back and listen to again.

After the movie, the kids decided to make a tent in the middle of the den. I knew they couldn't get outside so I was all for it. I helped them put the sheet on the top and then let them have fun. I remember doing that a lot as a kid... Did any of you do that? I used to "set up shop" in Mom and Dad's den and string up a clothesline and everything! I loved getting into one of the corners with my baby dolls when there was a storm brewing outside. It made me feel safe.

The tent didn't stay up too long because soon they were bored with it, unfortunately. They have never been good at staying in the tent. lol Wesley cleaned up the area, though. (Shock, I know...) Since I had worked on scrapbooking some this afternoon, Mikayla decided to join me. She used some of the pictures I didn't use in our album to create her own "masterpieces." They were cute. Wesley played with some Legos and then decided to make a few "masterpieces" of his own. Other than that, we haven't done anything earth shattering today.

I am about to go crash. Steve won't be home till after midnight so I think I'll go read to the kids and get them in bed. I want them ready for this time change. By the way, I HATE time change... especially this one in the spring. It takes my body forever to get used to it. Hopefully it won't be too bad this year... maybe.

Enjoy your evening with the ones you love. I am missing my main one right now. This is two Saturdays in a row that he hasn't been home. I am whining, aren't I? Sorry...

Off to read...

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Caitlin just saw your pictures of the tent and gasped and said, "I remember when I used to do that!" :)

Caitlin and I are going to Charlotte in April to see "Wicked" which is the story of the Witches of Oz. I read the book--very weird and Rated R--but it will help me understand the play better. It's very good at the end! Anyway, it will be in Raleigh next year and I hear it's fabulous! You'll have to make plans to see it!

Sal Cartusciello said...

Sorry Steve was working again Saturday night. You could have had a couple of Thin Mints to help ease the "pain".

Amy said...

How sweet that Steve sent you the roses 'just because'!

I hope you're both feeling better soon, those head colds are so miserable.

I totally remember making forts, it was so much fun!