Friday, March 07, 2008

03/07/08

My picture today is another violin. The thing that struck me about this one, though, is the numbers that are on the side. If you click on it you can see them better. I asked my friend about this and she said it could have been from when someone rented it out and they kept track of it that way. She wasn't really sure. At any rate, it showed character to me... showed that someone had used it. I am not really sure where I am going with that thought, but I just thought the numbers were interesting. (lol)

Today was a teacher work day. I was able to get some grades and stuff finished.

Before we worked in our rooms we had a class on writing. The speaker was talking about how writing is something we have to teach across all subject areas. I agree with that and understand where she was coming from. It caused me to think of emails and text messages, etc. We are now in an age where people do not always use complete sentences or capitals, and correct punctuation for that matter, when they are emailing or posting something. I understand why you can't be but so wordy on a text... not enough time or space to type in all of that... but an email and other things should have sentence structure. lol My brother has always been a "stickler" for good sentence structure and capitalization. He would get on me when I was "lazy" on an Instant Message or something. I appreciate it, though, because I do think twice about it when I send something. lol He always corrects me, so I am used to it... (Isn't that right, Kevin??????)

We have had rain ALL day. It has been glorious. God is so good and always provides. I was thinking the other day how just a few months ago we weren't supposed to have enough water for Raleigh by January. Now they are saying the lake where Raleigh gets most of its supply filled up a foot the other day. Now, that doesn't mean our problems are over and the drought is done, but it just shows that God has sent rain right when we needed it. This week we have had a couple of times of rain. Tuesday was quite a bit and then today as well. It seems we are getting back into a pattern that brings wetness more often.

I told my students the other day that this sending of rain is just another way for us to see that God is still there, still supplying our needs. I also told them this is similar to how God used times of testing in the Bible. Anytime there was the number 40 used, it was with times of testing. (ex: The Great Flood - 40 days/nights of rain and earth erupting; Jesus in the Wilderness for 40 days; the children of Israel being persecuted by the Philistines and Goliath for 40 days; the children of Israel sending spies into the Promised Land for 40 days... only for them not to fully believe God could take care of them all and God sending them into the Wilderness for 40 years. Each year a remembrance of the 40 days the spies were in the land.)

There are so many instances of the number 40 in God's Word and I always try to teach my students to understand the importance of numbers. (three and seven are two others we discuss) I know we haven't dealt with "40 something" of no rain or drought times, but it is still a time of testing. A time to see whether we will fall on our knees and realize it is only through GOD that we are taken care of through this drought. Droughts happen... just like other weird weather. BUT, God is the one in control of it all. This has been something I have thought of a lot recently and with all of the rain this week I just wanted to praise the One Who has sent it.

Along with this rain there is a possibility of bad storms tonight. We had some bad storms on Tuesday night but I didn't hear them at all.... I was that deep in sleep. Everyone else in the house heard them, though. lol I have just prayed today for the Lord's protection if the storms do come. He is our shelter in the time of storm, is He not?

I had to take Wesley to the doctor today. The little guy has a sinus infection and his eyes are affected with it as well. He is doing OK, but he is not his normal spunky self. I was able to get his antibiotic in him as soon as we got home.

We also cleaned as soon as we got home. This house was in serious need of attention. I had the kids "hopping" and getting their areas clean. Wesley was all about that. Mikayla needed a bit of prodding, but she is beginning to understand the importance of cleaning... and keeping it clean! Wesley is always deeply concerned over the neatness of his room. I truly hope he isn't going to be overly OCD about that as an adult. lol

I am sure most of you that read this have heard about the murder of the UNC Chapel Hill college student. I watched the candlelight vigil last night. It was so sad to see how someone so alive and promising was killed in a senseless act. This goes back to my post the other day talking about the brevity of life. The whole thing has been on my mind a lot since yesterday when they announced who she was.

Tonight I guess we will watch a movie of some sort. Tomorrow is the AWANA Olympics at church. Steve has to work all day and into the night so we won't see him at all. Hopefully we can enjoy our time together tonight without falling asleep too early. lol I am feeling a bit better today although my cough is still a bit deep. I know it takes a while for coughs to cease. I have been hearing from other people that it takes around 2 weeks for this "crud" to go away. I'll be glad to send it on its merry way. lol

Well, I had better get off of here. Have a blessed evening. Thank the Lord for the rain and go make a memory with someone. :)

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

I hope Wesley feels better soon. Sinus infections are no fun. Especially for a "little guy".

Kevin said...

Not ALL people use poor spelling and grammar in their emails and texts. Why should sending a short text through one's cell phone cause that someone to lose all of their education??? Good grammar need not be sacrificed to the altar of technology! (I guess I should have included this rant on my blog, huh?)