Friday, February 22, 2008

02/22/08

Today was a half day of school so it was nice to be able to leave early. BUT... I didn't exactly leave early. The Music teacher at school and I have lots of things we love to talk about. Photography is one of them as well as the world and cultures in general. Her room is filled with musical instruments and other stuff she has acquired over the years. She has had some things given to her and then bought others at estate sales, antique sales or even yard sales. I have told her for a while I was coming down one day just to photograph all of her "stuff." Today was the day!!!

I walked into her room and, even though I have been in there many times, I went in there with different eyes. It was wonderful what I kept seeing. I have felt a bit "stale" at home with photographing things lately because I am always seeing the same things, it seems. It was so great to walk in and see new things to see through a lens.

These dolls today are in her room. The first one was a gift from a former student that went to Hungary as a missionary. It was the first thing I photographed today. The beading and colors of this doll are beyond beautiful. The second picture is dolls from Poland. We actually found that out today when we looked underneath the stand and saw it was eastern Europe and had Krakow underneath! The third doll is one she has recently purchased at a yard sale or estate sale. She couldn't figure out where it would have been from because it had no markings. I told her I thought it was from the Baltic region of eastern Europe. We looked traditional clothing up on the internet and we think that would be correct.

Not only did I get the dolls but A LOT of musical instruments or angles of the same instrument. It was like I had fallen into photography overdrive today. :) I will be sharing those instruments and other objects in future posts. There was no way I was going to get them all in this one, nor did I want to give them all away today.

I can't tell you how great it felt to just walk around and try to photograph something to make it draw you into the picture and not just look at it and say "Oh, that is a doll" but ... "OH... LOOK at that doll!!!" (or the musical instruments or objects took...) You all know I love closeups of things so I was getting into some weird positions to get the shots I wanted. It could be comical if someone videotaped that. lol

The kids had to be patient, which didn't always work and they kind of had to learn the hard way that what "Mama says Mama means." lol I realize that was not their most exciting place to be this afternoon, but patience can be learned at many times in life. lol

Have you ever thought about how sharp your eyes are? Even if you have to wear glasses or contacts your eyes can see things that are amazing. I guess that is why sometimes when a picture does not turn out as crisp and sharp as I would like it frustrates me because of how my eyes see them. What an awesome God we serve that He would make our eyes to be able to see like they do. It is mind boggling some days if you had to sit and think of all your body can do. It didn't happen by chance. We are DESIGNED by a CREATOR.

When I finally finished photographing and talking I knew we needed to head home. After another couple of errands I had to get done today we came home and I let them watch a movie. I chose to watch my eyelids while they were curled up with me. It was nice. It had been rainy today so it was a perfect day in which to do this!

Tonight we went over to eat supper with some of our good friend's from church. She is from China and cooked us another wonderful Chinese meal. I almost hurt myself eating it was so good. We always enjoy our time with them and were sad to see time slip by so quickly. We enjoyed watching some Chinese New Year festivities. I was amazed to watch their culture and the beauty in it. Sometimes we get so caught up in our own culture that we can't see past our own noses. The Lord is constantly teaching me to learn to appreciate others and other cultures because He made us all! The beauty of their traditional dress and the way they performed certain dances and musical numbers was really neat to watch. I would love to go to China some day to visit. Of course, I would love to go SO many places around the world. My students laugh at me when I tell them about a new place and say I'd love to go there. They always say back to me "You want to go EVERY WHERE!"... I think they are right. If I had the money to go wherever I would like, I would be gone quite a bit. Talk about taking pictures.... lol

Well, it is late so I better get off. I have to clean this house in the morning and get ready for the "shoot" with the 6 month old tomorrow afternoon. Steve is watching the Golf channel so I guess I'll join him and fall asleep on the couch. hee hee

Have a wonderful day and try to find something new to capture with your eyes. Thank the Lord for the ability to see. (even if you are like me and can't see a thing without your glasses or contacts... lol)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures!
It is amazing how you "see" differently when you have your eye in the eyepiece of a camera.
Can't wait to see the rest.

Amy said...

These are beautiful! I clicked to make them all larger and love the detail you were able to get.

I'm right there with you on wanting to go EVERYWHERE! I LOVE to travel. I think homeschooling the girls isn't the best idea because in doing history I'm just adding to my already mile long list!

I can't wait to see the other photos you took yesterday and the ones you're taking today of the baby.

Sal Cartusciello said...

Great, great pictures. I'm jealous. :-)

BTW, to go places you must want to leave the home, and sometimes be willing to fly. Two qualities you and I don't really have too much of. Though with the right pill flying is easier for me. :-)