Sunday, November 26, 2006

11/26/06


We have had a great weekend following a downpour rainy week. We were able to get some of our Christmas up through my days off and got our tree on Friday. Our tree is quite cute and we were tickled with it when we found it. I don't always have to have "the perfect tree" but a cost- effective one is nice. ha!!! Steve and I put the lights on it on Friday night and the kids and I decorated it last night. We had to move it from the "normal" spot this year because of our wood stove insert we are getting. Steve was afraid it would get a little too hot. I actually think I like it better where we moved it. Not that we moved it across the whole room or anything, but change for me is hard in any aspect so this was BIG for me. ha! You wouldn't believe how many times Steve and I moved furniture to get the room looking right...and all for a Christmas tree!!!

Usually I put the round ball red, green, gold and glittery ornaments on my tree. Well, this year, that didn't happen. lol Wesley and Mikayla were so excited about their ornaments that they started on those. I used to have a "system" but now that is all out the window. ;) They were thrilled to see all of the ornament boxes with their names on them. I LOVE Hallmark ornaments so I always put their names on the ornaments bought for them. They pulled out all of those and left mine in the box. Our tree this year is filled with homemade ornaments, Hallmark ornaments (mainly) and those that were given to me or ones Steve and I had bought when we were first married. Our tree is one of wonderful ornaments that fill me with memories each time I look at them. I will be sharing some of them up close during the season.

I gave Wesley and Mikayla each 3 new Hallmark ornaments this year. My tradition started out with one. Last year I went up to two, and this year it became three. ha!! I just can't help myself. I got one that is a box of chocolates. ;) I'll definitely share that one this week!! I got Steve the "Grinch" ornament as well as the movie because he has been "complaining" that he never sees it on TV anymore. I solved that problem for him. I gave Mikayla the Cinderella Slipper, Tinkerbell and Pansy Fairy. Wesley got the John Deere tractor, old Ford truck, and Chevrolet car from 1961. They were so excited.

The kids had fun decorating the tree. They did better this year than last year. They loved all of the memories they had of their ornaments, too. I was able to share with them some tidbits about their ornaments they may not have remembered.

My memories were a bit saddened, though, at the realization that some who were here last year aren't here this year. I thought of my adopted grandfather who passed away in August, and Miss Pearl who passed away at the end of October. She dearly loved Christmas and looking at our tree when she kept the twins. I still can't believe they are gone.

I still have a few things to decorate around the house, but they'll get out eventually. I changed around my mantle a little bit this year so I'll share that. I always want Christ as the focus on my mantle. I treasure the porcelain pieces that were my grandmothers. I look forward to seeing those each year.

Well, it is back to reality and school tomorrow so I need to get off of here and get some things done. I'll be back soon with another picture of Christmas. :)

OH..forgot...I recently found out that none of my pictures I entered in two contests won anything. That is alright...I truly didn't think they would. There are just too many people out there that entered. Truly, as long as I enjoy my pictures it really doesn't matter what other people think. I know I am still a work in progress. lol

No comments: