Friday, June 13, 2008

06/13/08

More gerber daisies today. I enjoyed seeing this one before it actually broke forth into bloom. I tell you, I am just enjoying watching the small things in God's Creation unfold...

Today was clean day. Oh my... by the end of the night I will have done NINE loads of laundry!! You would have thought I had just got back from the trip instead of leaving for it! I wanted everything fresh and clean for when we got back. My office is beyond help at this point and will be attacked when we get back, but for the most part, everything else is looking much better.

The kids brought out their outfits to me today so we could get their clothes ready to pack. A friend of mine suggested using large ziploc bags to put a whole days outfit in to make it easier to travel. I was going to do that, but I didn't have enough bags. lol Poor planning on my part. Great idea, though. It was comical trying to get all of their outfits matched up. It was also kind of fun. :)

I still have to pack for Steve and me. I also still have to finish cleaning a few more things and iron. I'll be ready for that vacation!

Wesley was really cute today... he said he didn't want to go to school anymore, he just wanted to farm. I told him he wouldn't be able to figure out all he needed for his crops or cattle if he didn't go to school. He still didn't think he needed it. I have decided I am going to make up some farm story problems for him to figure out. That way he can apply math to something he loves. I also learned something new about him today. He has always been my slower working child, which isn't such a big deal, but today when he was working on his summer book he went into Mikayla's room to work. Her windows are bright and cheerful and allow you to see more outside than his room. Well, I asked him why he moved from the table. He said that he enjoyed watching what was outside. DING-DONG... just learned about that in the class this past week!! He must be a "naturalist" learner meaning he "clicks" learning with outdoors. DUH. Why hadn't I thought of that before???? I asked him if he wanted to go outside and finish his work. You would have thought I had asked him if he wanted twelve chocolate bars for lunch he was that excited! He was tickled "blue" with himself that he could be outside and work. Gotta store that in the back of my mind. Sometimes it takes us parents a while to figure out some simple things!

Speaking of parenting, as I was working today I began to realize some things that God is still teaching ME as a parent. Here are some the Lord pointed out to me today:

1. Don't get so upset when something trivial breaks.

2. Realize that the kiddos really DID NOT mean to break it.

3. Learn to apologize for getting bent out of shape over something trivial and to ask an eight year old (or any year old for that matter!) for forgiveness.

4. Realize your children are doing the best that they can and they can't always do what you want them to do.

These were tough lessons for me today.... not for my kids. Unfortunately, they had to be a part of the lesson God was teaching me!! Sometimes the teacher is so instilled in me, plus my strong- willed self, that I don't always think before reacting either. I hate the days my children see me like that. I sat back today and thought of how much I taught them by getting upset over something trivial that may have blown away anything I taught them from my words. As I teach/preach and I have heard all of my life: "Actions speak louder than words." Wesley and Mikayla are NOT perfect kids, but they are sweet and good overall. All children have their moments, but those are the teachable moments, not "blow up" moments.

How many times have we as parents said or done something we wish we could take back? I know I have done it lots, but today kind of slapped me in the face. It was minor, but the Lord brought it forward to me to show me it really was major on MY part. How we react to our children when they are really trying to give their all or do their best can last a lifetime. Even when our kids are adults we will still be needing to understand they do their best with what they have or how life is going with them. I want the Lord to continue to teach me to be sensitive to those areas and not "fly off the handle" when something doesn't go my way. When they become adults I don't want them looking back on their childhood and remembering those times I didn't think before I spoke. I am thankful the Lord showed ME an important lesson of understanding, patience, and appreciation for my children today.

Well, sitting here isn't getting anymore packing/cleaning done. I will not be posting anymore until we return from our trip. Get ready for a ton of pictures is all I am gonna say! ha! I have four 1GB memory cards I am taking with me. They each hold around 270 pics so you do the math... he hee I may not use all of them, but at least I'll be prepared!

Have an enjoyable week while I am gone. I know you will miss my antics. :)

4 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

I like your 4 parenting points. Not that I would ever need sucjh a thing. :-0

The packing in bags is a good idea for the kids. I know Cassie usually has double the amount needed of one item, and almost none of another.

Gretchen said...

When my children love me unconditionally after a mommy-meltdown, I understand the Lord's grace on a whole new level.

Thanks for the great reminders!


I have (your) pink gerber daisy picture as my wallpaper on my desktop now AND LOVE IT!

Here is an assignment:
Can you take one like it only of a red gerber? I'd love a new flower picture on my blog to replace the yellow tulip I currently have in the top corner.
Of course I'd give you the credit on my blog!

You're so talented!

Amy said...

BEAUTIFUL shots, great colors, focus, and composition!

Great words of wisdom on the parenting front, I need to remember these things too! And have a FABULOUS trip, I can't wait to see all 1080 photos. :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi, I found your blog jumping over from New every morning... You have a great blog, by the way! And I was skimming through your post and saw the one on the tractor show. Was that the one at the NC Fairgrounds? If it was, small world. We were there all weekend, too...showing two tractors! My pictures are posted on my blog. My son spent most of his time in the petting zoo! LOL! And boy, wasn't it miserably hot?

Well, it was nice to meet you and invite you to stop by my blog if you get a chance! ~Rhonda ;)