Thursday, June 12, 2008

06/12/08

These gerber daisies are in our yard. :) Steve planted them this year and I had such fun photographing them. I'll show more later. The pink one is on my desktop background. I just love them.

Today was the last day of my class. :) I am thankful to be done with it and was glad I learned something from it.

Today was actually not a good day to be outside around here. The weather itself was WONDERFUL. It wasn't too hot, like we have had, and the breeze was blowing. The only problem was the breeze was blowing a different way today and it brought the smoke from the fires on our coast. These fires have been burning for a couple of weeks and, from what I understand, were caused by a lightning strike. It made the air quality horrible. At first it wasn't so bad, but as the day progressed it became worse and worse. By this afternoon you could hardly be outside. Wesley had a game tonight and we got there only to find it had been cancelled. We checked our email before we left but they didn't send it out till after that. The few boys that were there decided to stay and practice because the smoke was really not as bad in that area. They didn't practice for long.

The smoke here has caused me to think of those closer to the fires. I can't imagine what it is like near them. I know Sal and Morgan experienced those fires close to them in San Diego a few months back. I remember them talking about the smell. I just feel for and am praying for those people near the coast. I am praying for rain as we are in great need of it once again.

I must admit that I am enjoying Wesley playing baseball. He has really grown and matured in the sport and it is fun to watch him. Steve has now mentioned getting him a golf instructor to help him in that area this summer. I think that will be great for him.

Mikayla is still wanting to take horseback riding lessons. I am going to see how she does on the horse this weekend and see from there whether we'll do it. I was truly not sure if she wanted to do them just because a couple of her friends in class do them or because she had a true desire. I'll have to check around to a couple of stables around our home to see what they charge.

This house is disastrous with me being gone most of the week. We'll be working greatly on the cleaning and washing of clothes tomorrow. I want the house in tip-top shape before we leave. I am getting quite excited about the trip and all of the "photo ops." You all know that I'll be sharing lots when I get back!

Well, I need to close and go read a bit before going to bed. Have a great evening. If you live around here, be careful around the smoke!

2 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

I was reading about the smoke drifting into the Triangle area. That is quite a distance. Also, there is another used tire place on fire in Johnston County.

Yes, fires are no fun.

Glad Wesley is enjoying the baseball, and I'm also glad you are enjoying it.

Horseback riding for Mikayla. Good for her.

Gretchen said...

Oooh! Gerber Daisies are my FAVORITE flower!

I want that for my desktop!

We both posted about the smoke today ... great minds think alike!