Wednesday, June 11, 2008

06/11/08

This computer is getting there. Files are FINALLY transferred, although there are still some things I am going to have to burn a CD from my old computer to get on here. I just can't find them! I am learning this new computer and it is getting "easier." Boy, has this been a process. I can't clean out this office until all of this is completed so let's hope it is soon. Of course, the way I am seeing it, I will still be finishing up with it after vacation. I won't stress about it.

My pictures today are from our hydrangea bush. We have never had one to bloom before and Steve found out why this past fall/winter. Apparently, he had been trimming them back down to the ground each year instead of allowing the "ugly sticks" to just stay. Little did he know he was trimming down where the new growth and blooms came from. It was like the plants always had to start over with just leaves every year. It has been so much fun watching them bloom. This one is different from the other one we have in the back yard. The blooms are like little buds of color and then they burst forth. I saw the other day that these purple "stamens/pistils" come out as well. It has been quite fascinating to me to see it bloom. I enjoy watching what has happened each day. I have more pictures of this that I had taken earlier before the purple parts began but I haven't had time to work on any pictures with all of the transferring mess I have dealt with. Maybe after vacation I'll work on that some more, too.

I did manage to clean out some files today. I still have a lot to do, though. I went through and got rid of copies or pictures I didn't need any longer. I had a TON that I transferred. My other computer wouldn't allow me to really work on them without freezing up so it was nice to work on them quicker today. Of course, it still took me quite a while to get through them! I have to empty my recycle bin because that puppy is full.

Today was a frigid air quality with it only being in the 90's!! We have had 100 degree temps for almost a week and it has been terrible. I am praying that the rest of the summer will not be like this. It was nice to be outside this afternoon. You didn't feel like the air was going to suffocate you.

I have been in class the last couple of days. I will be the first to admit that I was not in the frame of mind for this class since I just got out of school. I had a hard time getting into the swing of things yesterday morning even though the class was quite good. Today was much better. I had finally gotten past my "issues" and decided to learn something new to take back to my classroom. I have learned quite a few things and am looking forward to seeing how the Lord will help me use them with my students. The class is on critical thinking skills and writing. These are two areas that are hard to teach but are so needed. As I sat there today and listened to the different things the instructor was saying, I was overcome with just how complex and hard teaching really is. There are so many variables you have to consider when you teach a room full of kids. It isn't something to take lightly, which I do not, but it can be overwhelming if you allow it to be. I did find, however, that a lot of what has been discussed is what I have been working on already with my students. Doesn't mean I don't have anything new to learn, though!

The instructor was talking about our brains today and how we need to continue to use them always. I could honestly say that this past week with my computer problems I had used mine! I had to sit and try to figure out what was wrong and not just sit back and throw my hands up over it. I also realized how much of a visual/spatial learner and teacher I am. I knew I was extremely visual, but didn't realize I was as spatial, but it makes sense. I can think up of something in my head before it even gets on paper. I like to make forms or work in color. I think I am also a bit musical, which is comical because I can't sing, but I am always teaching my kids how to learn a new concept with a song.

Isn't it amazing how wonderfully we are made by our Creator? He formed us and knows us. He helps me continue in my strengths while working on my weaknesses without ever giving up. The instructor pointed out how Jesus was the best role model for a teacher. I have been reading in Luke and have kind of taken for granted all of the questions Jesus would ask. He would make the people He talked to use their brains! That was put into a new perspective for me today.

We have also been talking about writing skills. We discussed how many people today like to shortcut everything and do not actually know how to WRITE. I am not a pro at this point by any means, as my brother is always quick to correct me on certain areas, but I try to learn and improve. This class has helped with that as well.

Enough rambling about my class... sorry... it was just neat perspectives and teaching skills that I have learned and am thankful I took the class.... even if it did cause me a few struggles because of summer. ha!!

Tonight the kids, Steve and I went for a walk. Because the temps were much lower today and the humidity wasn't as high it was an enjoyable walk. I am really enjoying my walking this summer. It clears the head and does the body good. I wish I had the time and energy to do it more during the school year. Right now there are too many things going on. You never know, though....

OK... I am calling all people who "silently" read my blog to come out of the "screen" and post me some comments. I would really love to know all of those that read! I have forgotten who I have given my blog to and who I haven't....lol I know Sal, Casey, Gretchen, Amy, occasionally Glynis and my brother give me comments... any others? Come on... you know I am talking to YOU. :)

Well, I am going to go read for a bit. I hope you all have a wonderful evening. :)

1 comment:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Classes. I know what you are talking about, as I just can't "get into" them for the few I have taken since college.

Although we really are in a weekly class every week at church, and that goes not seem to bother us. :-)